Cutting the plastic from a grafted scion?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I grafted a few fig scions into my tree a couple of months ago, and it looks like at least two are taking. I see some green growth underneath the plasting wrapping I used on one of them.

Question is, should I cut the plastic or leave and let the growth find its way out? here's a pic where you can see it:

Thanks!
Geoff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would have bound the graft with raffia, instead of plastic. Although I am a very long way from being an expert in the subject, I would be wary of cold wind shocking the new graft now. If the plastic comes off, the work will need protection until it warms up a bit. I have no idea what your temperatures are in LA, but it is still very cold here...... (must be global warming :rolleyes:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Tetters - it doesn't get too cold here, and starting to warm up even more - last week was cold, lows in the 50s (F) and highs in the 70s.

My only concern was all the condensation underneath the tape. Not sure if that's good or bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I thought the same! If you do take it off, you could always protect it with fleece if the temperature drops any lower, or even drape more plastic, but loosely.
I think I would go for it.

Ask a Question