Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Warning: extreme novice here

I recently sprouted some Crystal Apple cucumber seeds and planted 4 of what I thought were 6 seeds I put in little starter containers. I was thrilled to see how well they were doing right off the bat. The four chosen plants are in large containers now, but since then I've been finding what looks like more cucumbers in nearly all my other plants. I pulled at least 10 of these little buggers out of my lettuces in the past few weeks.

I can't find any info on cucumbers spreading like weeds, so I'm starting to wonder if these beautiful little sprouts are in fact weeds I haven't seen before! Pictured are the plants I kept, but the sprouts I'm finding all around the garden are definitely when these guys looked like when they first sprouted. Any info would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cucs, squash and cantaloupes look a lot alike. Last year by any chance did you leave any on the ground that may be coming up as volunteers this year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
That is not a weed! I put cantaloupe seeds in my compost pile (not a good idea, by the way) and now I have a cantaloupe hill of about 20 plants in the middle of the compost. My seedlings look just like yours, so I'm betting on a melon of some sort.
A word of advice--never let a zucchini rot in your garden. :giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks guys! I must have dropped some seeds where they didn't belong. I'm just glad to know these aren't weeds. So many have been popping up that I was starting to worry. But I guess it's a good thing that they've taken so well to the heat down here.

Ask a Question