Cucumber Flowering Confusion

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have two cucumbers that are starting to take over part of my greenhouse. Both male and female flowers are happening here. When I can catch them earlier, I would hand pollinate. I've never grown these before (beyond 4 feet until they just wither an die).

Now, I'm seeing large cucumbers growing, with the flower looking pristine and ready to open. I'm waiting and watching, but the flower doesn't even open and shrivels up. I've grabbed a few that shrivel before flowering, but they go soft within a day (keeping them away from my harvested toms.). These are in a 1ft tall raised bed.

Is this a watering issue? I just did some searches, and nothing i've found mentions this issue, strangely. I know it's hot as hell here in TX, but these guys get some decent "shade" from the green panels on the roof during the worst. Otherwise it would be way too hot to even check the place for longer than a few minutes. One cucumber plant droops a little bit between waterings (a good soak every 2-3 days when in summer). I use an OMRI tomato pellet feed and a little of Black Kow (ran out of the pellet once). New growth looks fantastic still. Flowers everywhere and dang aphids won't go away despite the Neem. I'll Spinosad tomorrow if I find the time, but I doubt that's the issue. Airflow is definitely not an issue.

Anyone else having female cucumber flowers simply wilt right before opening? I appreciate your help. I can get some pics if needed, but i'm crazy busy with work this week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I have two cucumbers that are starting to take over part of my greenhouse. Both male and female flowers are happening here. When I can catch them earlier, I would hand pollinate. I've never grown these before (beyond 4 feet until they just wither an die).

Now, I'm seeing large cucumbers growing, with the flower looking pristine and ready to open. I'm waiting and watching, but the flower doesn't even open and shrivels up. I've grabbed a few that shrivel before flowering, but they go soft within a day (keeping them away from my harvested toms.). These are in a 1ft tall raised bed.

Is this a watering issue? I just did some searches, and nothing i've found mentions this issue, strangely. I know it's hot as hell here in TX, but these guys get some decent "shade" from the green panels on the roof during the worst. Otherwise it would be way too hot to even check the place for longer than a few minutes. One cucumber plant droops a little bit between waterings (a good soak every 2-3 days when in summer). I use an OMRI tomato pellet feed and a little of Black Kow (ran out of the pellet once). New growth looks fantastic still. Flowers everywhere and dang aphids won't go away despite the Neem. I'll Spinosad tomorrow if I find the time, but I doubt that's the issue. Airflow is definitely not an issue.

Anyone else having female cucumber flowers simply wilt right before opening? I appreciate your help. I can get some pics if needed, but i'm crazy busy with work this week.
It is caused by the high temperatures we are having. Anything over +/-90F daytime temps will stop fruit set and cause blossom drop.

Ask a Question