Crepe myrtle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are there different varieties? I have what I have always thought was a crepe myrtle. My father recently got we he was told is one as well. They are not the same, flowers are totally different. Mine had large punk flowers on it, his has smaller pink, but closer to red, flowers that seem to match what comes up when I Google crepe myrtle. Sorry I don't have better pics right now but here are the flowers on mine.
20170311_164917.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That doesn't look like any crepe myrtle flower I have ever seen. Crepe myrtles come in literally dozens of colors and sizes. People also like the way the bark on their trunks is colorful when it peels away. I don't know what kind of tree that is but it is not a crepe myrtle. It looks more like a magnolia.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd agree, my first thought was magnolia too (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Better pics this time, I'm still confused. The first two are my tree, sorry no blooms right now, but they are pink as pictured previously. The next is what I thought was a magnolia. They are very different.
20170419_063730.jpg
20170419_063739.jpg
20170419_063821.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think that both trees are magnolias. There are many different types of magnolias. Some are evergreen others are not. They have different shapes of flowers and leaves. But yours in the first two pictures is a magnolia. You should snip off all of those shoots that are coming up from the ground if you want your tree to grow correctly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I think you need to look up Magnolias and find out how many types fall into that category, when the certain types bloom, shape of the different types, flower size of the different types, height differences of the different types, and zone differences. Such as the wonderful "teddy bear" magnolia, if you ever see those leaves you'd be blown away. Some magnolias their flowers are larger than a dinner plate, some such as the star magnolia is a small type.. some blooms prior to its leaves, some blooms after its leaves. Its all about reading up on stuff. Well before these type of "garden forums" ever began, that is what I did --- gather books from the library on certain species of plant, trees, shrubs and read about them. It truly is fun to do. For me especially in the winter months, then I would have a logical list of what to buy that would "work" on my property, that was the right height, and bloom time etc of what I wanted to achieve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think that both trees are magnolias. There are many different types of magnolias. Some are evergreen others are not. They have different shapes of flowers and leaves. But yours in the first two pictures is a magnolia. You should snip off all of those shoots that are coming up from the ground if you want your tree to grow correctly

Thanks chuck! Trimming those back was on my to do list today, is all tidied up now. Thanks for the info

Ask a Question