Covid 19 Coronavirus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Finally retired July 17. while others were home all that time, I now get to be home. My garden will get their full attention I was never able to give to them. I am just wondering how long, as I might need some human interaction at some point. we shall see, it is a process.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Retirement, Esther!!!

Your garden will welcome you with open arms!

If you hanker for human interaction, but still wary of direct interaction ... go Skype (or Tik Toc or whatever the latest virtual communication may be); just ... stay safe!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So: today, in England, it became mandatory to wear a face covering of some/any kind when shopping.
I didn't shop today, but, I did shop yesterday and wore a "face mask" partly to get me into the mindset on my own terms. It was very humid yesterday and my shopping trip took 4 hours - partly due to the number of shops I went to (only six); partly due to the ill-thought out "routes" to the tills in those shops ergo increasing time to complete a transaction; and, partly due, to a degree, of naivety of fellow shoppers (not adhering to social distancing/obstructions/etc.) thus adding extra time again to what should have been a simply expedition!.
By the time I had finished "shopping", I was dehydrating; my eyes were reacting to the 'mask' (sore and watering) I felt particularly tired and simply couldn't wait to get back into my vehicle to UNmask, have a big glug of water but no idea what to do about the eye issues - which needed addressing because I had an hours drive home yet to do!.

What did I learn?
- shopping trips need to be planned to reduce time.
- mask wearing is a positive; but, wear one which doesn't have an effect/reaction on my eyes!
- carry water! (Didn't because I didn't want to resort to using public toilets)
- maybe keep a receptacle in the car ... just in case the need to wee outweighs the need for dignity?

I was in a check-out queue yesterday and the cashier asked if I was paying in cash, I said no ... she then looked at the next approaching customer and asked the same ... meanwhile, there was an elderly woman waiting for the same cashier to finish helping her. Transpires the cashier wanted someone to pay with cash (despite all signs advising to pay contact less) because she couldn't open her cash drawer without a cash payment and the elderly person wanted a £5 note changed up. Why? Because she wanted the £5 note changed to pound coins so she had a £1 coin for a shopping trolley.

Once I knew what was going on, I went to my coin purse and got out my trolley coin and gave it to the elderly woman, explaining that it was reusable and she would not need to search for a £ coin again. The cashier was very quick to say how very kind I was!!! I felt ashamed. I didn't give the trolley coin simply as a means of kindness; I gave it because I was feeling so claustrophobic in the humidity and mask wearing, I wanted to hurry things along! I felt very ashamed of myself because my motivation wasn't borne of a kindness but my desperate need to get out to the store and back into my car! I didn't deserve the compliment.

Ask a Question