Covid 19 Coronavirus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Brampton ON. Canada Almost all business shut down. Dead silence from the streets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
That's good: all should hunker down at home as much as possible, wear a scarf or mask if you go out. Don't wait for the lockdown order if your governor is tardy. See also to your food security, much more so than in normal times. I am scaling up garden operations in a big way, trying to get chickens. Stay safe everyone!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting effects of the reduction in human activity include changes in the patterns of seismic vibrations and a reduction in air pollution.

The latter may affect gardeners if it reverses some of the effects of global warming which have been adversely affected garden crops. In the past 2 years it has been too rainy and cloudy here (Piedmont of Virginia). I'd love to see the climate return to the old "normal"!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Interesting effects of the reduction in human activity include changes in the patterns of seismic vibrations and a reduction in air pollution.

The latter may affect gardeners if it reverses some of the effects of global warming which have been adversely affected garden crops. In the past 2 years it has been too rainy and cloudy here (Piedmont of Virginia). I'd love to see the climate return to the old "normal"!
According to all the previous stories about AGW, this little depression in CO2 emissions will have zero effect.

This is just one example of articles talking about if we were to stop 100% emissions. https://phys.org/news/2017-10-global-doesnt-emissions.html

Excerpted Quote: "We've clearly hit a nerve. According to surveys, a great many people believe that global warming will stop if we stop emitting greenhouse gases. Many even assume that temperatures will fall back to pre-industrial levels within a couple of decades. But climate scientists have long known that that's not the case. CO2 has a much longer life span than that – it stays in the atmosphere for thousands of years. So, we need to state quite clearly: Global warming will not stop when emissions stop."

This covid-19 thing is not a big deal, if you look at the big picture...it will pass and life will soon go back to normal.

If you're feeling the effects of AGW, one possible solution is to move here to Jacksonville Fl. I've haven't seen the effects of AGW here; I have no problem growing anything:LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United States
According to all the previous stories about AGW, this little depression in CO2 emissions will have zero effect.

This is just one example of articles talking about if we were to stop 100% emissions. https://phys.org/news/2017-10-global-doesnt-emissions.html

Excerpted Quote: "We've clearly hit a nerve. According to surveys, a great many people believe that global warming will stop if we stop emitting greenhouse gases. Many even assume that temperatures will fall back to pre-industrial levels within a couple of decades. But climate scientists have long known that that's not the case. CO2 has a much longer life span than that – it stays in the atmosphere for thousands of years. So, we need to state quite clearly: Global warming will not stop when emissions stop."

This covid-19 thing is not a big deal, if you look at the big picture...it will pass and life will soon go back to normal.

If you're feeling the effects of AGW, one possible solution is to move here to Jacksonville Fl. I've haven't seen the effects of AGW here; I have no problem growing anything:LOL:

Ahhhh... too bad. I was hoping simply that ceasing to pump more CO2 into the atmosphere for a while would have an effect. Well, then, I shall direct my hope toward efforts to pull the carbon out of the atmosphere, coupled with a transformation to technology which produces fewer emissions.

Here in Virginia we definitely are affected by it, not only by the odd climatic patterns, but the appearance of insects which hitherto were not found this far north. There is a curious beetle, shaped like a ladybug but twice as large, with a calico color pattern. on which pyrethrum has no effect. Perhaps you know this insect in northern Florida.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for posting that video, @Durgan
I watched it, with interest, as the advice of our own Government is that they are not a necessity (at this point).

The one thing which struck me with the animations in the video is that the masks prevent a barrier - not to all and sundry who do not have the virus, but - for those who do have the virus? Thereby limiting the spread of the virus by limiting their own contagion? Surely the self-isolation/self-distancing measures, by definition, do that PRIOR to contacting symptoms?

If you have the symptoms, the wrong message could be sent out: wearing a mask = damage limitation? Therefore, not deterring people with symptoms to isolate, but justifying their presence in the community IF they wear a mask? Which then gives them permission to go about their daily business under an enhanced sense of security,but which may, in fact, lead them to become spreaders of the most "permitted" kind?

Just a knee jerk thought in response to the video; nothing personal .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I now wear a cloth face mask when off my property I sterilize in the microwave and dry in the SUN for UV treatment. Any barrier has to have some positive effect. Nothing appears to be 100% effective. Except total isolation which is probably impossible. You pays your money and take your chances.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any barrier has to have some positive effect.
Agreed.
However, there are degrees: *Hypothetical scenarios follow)
  1. I wear a mask, a Health Care Professional has been denied (HCP is struggling to secure due to Global demand); I have no symptoms;
  2. I have not spread any virus (AFAIK) I go about my daily business and I wash my hands diligently .
  3. I wear a mask: I have no symptoms; I have not spread any virus (AFAIK); I self isolate and I wash my hands, habitually.
  4. I wear a mask ; I have mild symptoms: and go about my daily business, washing my hands. ( coughing, spluttering: but, believing that the MASK is a panacea).
  5. I wear a mask; the whole "hand-washing" ritual is such a faff! Let's just wear a mask/scarf, wash hands often and be done with it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I went the the Tractor Supply Store. I had latex gloves and a 3m N95 mask. Only only lady came in with a cloth mask. No one had gloves. As I left I asked if there was an external garbage can. The older male employee literally approached me with his bare hand extended to helpfully "take my trash". The idea of masking for another persons benefit is a foreign concept. The idea of contacting a covid particle is missing also. I have heard silence is the sound of success in this event. I hope I hear people claim it was a to-do about nothing.

Ask a Question