Corn seeds not sprouting

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought some corn seeds so I could eventually make some pop corn, and have some corn on the cob. I planted them as per the instructions in the package, but they haven’t sprouted yet. The instructions say a max of 14 days germination, and today is the 14th day, and still no sign of a corn plant. Is it okay to dig them up to see if anything is happening? Or should I just wait a little while longer? Thanks in advance!

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You don't say where abouts in the US you are, but I would guess you've sown them too late in the year. Normally you would sow in spring time. I would wait until next spring and things have warmed up, then try again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, as @NigelJ said. Please update your profile so we all know where you are located. I would dig up a couple and see what they look like but It is very late in the year to expect any kind of crop

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Corn is a delicious garden veggie...one of the very best to grow in the garden. However, it needs lots of sun and warm temps to produce. Try starting some next spring...and be sure to have several plants in proximity to pollinate the corn. Best sown directly in the soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I sprout the corn under a damp paper towel towel. When the white shoot is about an inch long it is carefully planted in a double row to insure pollination. Sometimes I cover with a raised board, since many birds will eat the young shoots. When the shoots get larger the birds go elsewhere.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
← 5 June 2016 Preserving Vegetables.
6 June 2016 Vegetable Garden →
5 June 2016 Indian Corn
Posted on June 5, 2016 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2016/July 2016/29 July 2016 Indian Corn/HTML/ 29 July 2016 Indian Corn
The patch of Indian corn is thriving. No bird or squirrel damage. Some stalks are ten feet in height.
dsc_125629%20july%202016%20garden_std.jpg

http://durgan.org/2016/June 2016/14 June 2016 Indian Corn/HTML/ 14 June 2016 Indian Corn
The Indian corn is up about three inches. All grew. No bird damage so far.
indian%20corn0668_std.jpg

http://durgan.org/2016/June%202016/5%20June%202016%20Indian%20Corn/HTML/ 5 June 2016 Indian Corn
Five rows of Indian corn, colored, was planted. This will give about sixty plants, which I use for making nixtamalized cereal. The seeds were placed in water in a warm place for about 30 hours to sprout prior to planting. Spacing was 8 inches and depth about 1.5 inches. The boards will be placed over the small shoots for a few days to discourage birds.
dsc_92215%20june%202016%20indian%20corn_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
what fertilizer is best for corn? planted 80 seeds and got about 30 great ears, and 50 tiny small ears

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Depends on your soil test...but in general they are heavy feeders that require rich soil and neutral ph. N2 is critical especially once the plants get about 8 inches tall. I like compost and fish emulsion on my corn....but also always use green manure in N2 fixing cover crops plowed under well in advance of planting corn.

Numerous small ears can be lack of nutrients, lack of water, or often lack of good pollination. If the ears are small and spotty with rows of corn missing, that's likely lack of pollination. Be sure to have each plant where possible surrounded on all sides by another corn stalk of the same age/type.

Here is next years corn crop soil in preparation...clovers, elbon rye, small grains, vetch, etc,etc

cover 2019.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question