First corn of our 2019 season

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Its always a delight to taste that first sweet corn from your garden each season. We plant Honey select triple sweet for its superior taste and "eat-ability" .

Together with fresh picked tomatoes and asparagus beans, lunch today will be very special.

first corn 2019.JPG

If things break right, we will be having fresh garden corn from now until September with two more plantings already going strong in addition to the first one. IMO, corn is the most rewarding garden veggie in terms of taste that one can grow. It is spectacular fresh from the garden.

IMG_0313.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Our corn was just above knee high and looking good until we had a bad storm with hail a couple weeks ago. I am leaving it alone hoping that some of it will survive. I will plant more at the end of June for our late harvest.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Our corn was just above knee high and looking good until we had a bad storm with hail a couple weeks ago. I am leaving it alone hoping that some of it will survive. I will plant more at the end of June for our late harvest.

I've had that happen before also. The corn will benefit from propping it up with dirt after being flattened...often times as if nothing had happened. Of course that won't work if hail destroys the plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Sweet corn in our area is not planted due to Spring rains. Many fields are still too wet.

Ask a Question