Question about sweet corn ear growth

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a new variety of corn this year - Peaches and Cream.

I planted April 20th in Auburn, Alabama.

Around June 4th, I began to notice that tassels were beginning to show, but I have no ear development - as far as I can tell. I am concerned that the tassels have formed too early. I have included photos.

We have had very little rain, but I have kept watered well. Temperatures have been 85-95 and full sun. Have fertilized with 35-0-0 one good time, approximately 2 weeks ago. Zero diseases. Zero pests.

The entire crop of corn seems to be progressing near the same rate.

Is this normal development? Early tassels? If there is any issue, is there anything that can be done about it?

Thanks !!

Attachments

• Corn 3.jpg
    Corn 3.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Corn 0.jpg
    Corn 0.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Corn 1.jpg
    Corn 1.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Corn 2.jpg
    Corn 2.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Corn 3.jpg
    Corn 3.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 168
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted a new variety of corn this year - Peaches and Cream.

I planted April 20th in Auburn, Alabama.

Around June 4th, I began to notice that tassels were beginning to show, but I have no ear development - as far as I can tell. I am concerned that the tassels have formed too early. I have included photos.

We have had very little rain, but I have kept watered well. Temperatures have been 85-95 and full sun. Have fertilized with 35-0-0 one good time, approximately 2 weeks ago. Zero diseases. Zero pests.

The entire crop of corn seems to be progressing near the same rate.

Is this normal development? Early tassels? If there is any issue, is there anything that can be done about it?

Thanks !!
It may be a varietal issue. Have any silks started to show? I think it is a little early to start worrying.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Looks perfectly normal to me, very healthy. I've grown peaches and cream several years but now grow honey select triple sweet which actually tastes superior.

The tassel stage ( the male organs) begins about two or three days or four days before silk emergence to ensure that there is pollen available to fertilize the plant. Pollination is key to successful full ear production.

The silk stage begins when the thin thread-like female reproductive organs emerge from the tip of each corn husk. The tassels shed
pollen usually in the mornings and evenings to fall onto the silks, fertilizing each one, if you're lucky. Sometimes you may need to shake that pollen down towards the silks if you don't have enough near by plants. The sperm within the pollen will travel down the silk to fertilize each kernel in the ear of corn.

My Honey Select has passed those stages and is now in the stage where the silks begin to brown and the ears are very visible. This stage is where the battle with the squirrels and crows and possums and others really heats up. Mine have already been raided once.

Garden sweet corn is one of the joys of life, IMO and well worth the effort and space required to enjoy that unique taste.

IMG_0299.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In the next photo, you will see my second planting of corn (planted May 1) just starting the tassel stage. This was planted just a few days later than yours.

corn 2 tassel 2019.JPG

My third and final planting was made on June 1 and is up and growing vigorously.

We like fresh corn and the stagger planting enables availability of spectacular tasting corn continuously now through September.

corn 3 sprout 2019.JPG

Ask a Question