Corn Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been growing corn for many years and I live in a dry, hot, arid climate. I planted a new OP type this year and another ( for me ) last year, and the same results; so small plants and small ears. Now I organic fertilize and I add suppliments also. I read a note by another gardener from my area and he said to go buy it from the store as corn will not do well here. Yet when I planted a hybrid variety, it did very well. Everything was the same except the results were so poor. I am trying to get away from the hybrids, but so far in sweet corn I cannot find one that does the job unless it is a hybrid. I did Stowells' Evergreen last year, and this year I did Top Hat. There is a lot of field corn grown in the area, but of course loaded with chemicals, so I know it can be done. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Bucks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b/6a
Country
United States
Why the aversion to hybrids? Heirlooms were all hybrids once, after all. If the hybrids grow well and taste good I would just give in and grow what I know will work, maybe do a small patch of a new heirloom variety every year in the hopes of finding something that grows.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Why do you wish to avoid hybrids?

The main reason I grow corn is Taste. It certainly isn't to save money LOL as corn is 6 ears for $1 around here. When it comes to taste the hybrids have heirlooms beat all to heck!

I challenge you to try triple sweet honey select and I'm betting you never look back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Combin corn crops with squash plants and green beans . The foilage of the squash provide ground cover and helps to prevent evaporation, corn stalls give the green beans some thing to climb .Each of these plants benefit the others and are known as the 3 sisters

Ask a Question