Coreopsis

DMP

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small spot around a sign post on my front lawn that's empty and in full sun. Next spring wanted to a perennial of some sort. I spotted a coreopsis(appears to be tickseed variety)at one of our local big box stores.

It had a bunch of dead flowers around the outside edges but the center of the plant looked pretty healthy and in bloom. I live in Zone 5 so I thought this might be just the perennial to plant around the entire sign post in the spring.

I realize it's late in the planting season, so just asking a bit of advice. How severely can I cut the plant back? Should I feed it? Right now it's in a 5inch pot. And what is the best way to winter over so it will survive our cold weather. I did want to see if I could coax it to bloom in the spring. Thanks.

DMP

Reaction score
Country
United States
No responses so this is what I did. Trimmed all the spent blooms, trimmed dead/dry stems and planted in a sunny spot at the sign post. I did not feed the plant.
I'll wing it when it comes time to cover it over for the winter. Plenty of mulch and other materials to protect it for the cold weather. In the spring, I'll let you know how I did.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of the more commonly planted perennial Coreopsis species should be fully Winter-hardy in USDA Zone 5. Hopefully, ones sold as such in a local chain nursery would be so. They are also generally durable plants overall, if planted in full sun in well-draining soil.. If planted in Summer be sure give them extra irrigation the first year.

Ask a Question