Composting ratios

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Who has time to work these things out? I don't. I just chuck everything on the (open) heap and leave it to get on with it. Only thing we don't add is cooked food as that attracts rats. The heap gets turned twice as we have a three heap system, (In, Pending and Out) The Out heap gets covered with PVC sheeting, but that is only to keep it dry enough to be easy to move on to the garden. Works fine, just turned over 4 tons of the stuff and put about that amount on the Veg garden.

LOL, I'm with you! I use cardboard TP rolls in my bins to help with the carbon. The leaves from the deciduous Japanese magnolia have been going into a separate bin for leaf mold, but I hardly have had time to do anything since I've been working full time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm glad a haphazard approach can work! After years without, I started a compost pile this spring. It's not yet big enough to heat up so I guess I'm "cold composting."

One thing I read was to put layers of sticks and twigs near the bottom of the pile to help keep it oxygenated. I randomly throw twigs in there along the way,along with TP and paper towel rolls and I keep a covered five-gallon bucket on the back deck for kitchen waste and add that when I feel like I've got enough for a thin layer.

So far so good, at least it's not become smelly or slimy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
BTW, this is a chart I posted a while back...

How-to-Compost-infographic.png.492x0_q85_crop-smart.png
Oh thank you for re-posting it. I'm just starting my little compost and haven't a real clue on how to go about it. Reading this poster helps me understand compost in general a lot more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh thank you for re-posting it. I'm just starting my little compost and haven't a real clue on how to go about it. Reading this poster helps me understand compost in general a lot more.

Glad you found it useful! There are so many ways to approach composting. You just have to find the method that works best for you in your climate and available space and just have at it. I started small with a storage bin with holes drilled in the bottom to allow the worms in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Glad you found it useful! There are so many ways to approach composting. You just have to find the method that works best for you in your climate and available space and just have at it. I started small with a storage bin with holes drilled in the bottom to allow the worms in.

Hmm? is there a certain type of worms to use for a compost or can I just use the little worms I see outside?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The best kind of worms are the ones sold in Britain as bait for fishing. They are bright red in colour. If the bin is stood on soil then they will find their own way in from the garden. Or at least they do here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The best kind of worms are the ones sold in Britain as bait for fishing. They are bright red in colour. If the bin is stood on soil then they will find their own way in from the garden. Or at least they do here.

Hmm, Worms used as bait, Those kind of worms never crossed my mind I'll give them a try. Here in the states those worms are fairly cheap to purchase.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you for the chart, that is very helpful! I have been looking into compost myself, and the chart answers some questions i had

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some of the things that count as greens:
Animal & poultry manure.
Weeds that haven't flowered.
Coffee grounds and tea leaves.
Urine
Seaweed.
Some leaves can go directly onto your veg patch. Worms will be so grateful, they'll reward you with some of their magic.

It's practically impossible to have too many leaves.

:confused:Urine ??????? what does Urine do for the compost? and who's Urine do I use? Hopefully not mines..Right? :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Male urine is best. It adds nitrogen to the mix and so feeds the bacteria which help break down the material. Whisper I often use the compost heap as a toilet when I am out in the garden and cannot be bothered to walk in and take off my working shoes.
Otherwise cow or horse urine is good. Just remember that human is 20 times more concentrated than animal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Male urine is best. It adds nitrogen to the mix and so feeds the bacteria which help break down the material. Whisper I often use the compost heap as a toilet when I am out in the garden and cannot be bothered to walk in and take off my working shoes.
Otherwise cow or horse urine is good. Just remember that human is 20 times more concentrated than animal.

:eek::confused::sick::eek::eek: I learn something new every time I log on this forum. I think i'll pass on the Urine Tip. Thanks though. YIKEZ:eek::eek::eek:

Ask a Question