Compost for growing Fuchsias

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hating levington compost now.

Can anyone recommend a good or better compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Compost is pretty much compost, though personally I prefer to avoid manure. Rake up any leaves in the yard to make leaf mold and save grass clippings in a separate compost for plants that need a boost of nitrogen.

What you need to look into is what soil type and what kind of fertilization are best for the flowers. I don't grow those, so my only recommendation would be to save your banana peels and make "tea" that you can then spray on the plant as a liquid fertilizer. I use it (diluted) on all my fruiting and flowering plants and they are all doing very well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Channel hello I have had bannana skins soaking in a bucket of water now for a week.

To use as feed .

How long do they need to soak in water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I shall go fill my spray bottle chanell but do have to say the smell is awful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
LOL, I was just thinking that same thing earlier. I could swear I'd read someplace that the smell was not that bad. Hopefully the garden pests dislike the smell as well :) The plants seem to like the spray however, so that's what's important. I just have to be careful that the wind doesn't blow it back at me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
And I accidentally got some on my fingers Chanell so I kept wahign my hands to get rid of smell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, you definitely want to wash it or any other homemade spray off just as you would a commercial spray. Just realized you were originally asking after a commercial compost product. Why not start your own? In the meantime, check around for community garden programs or local farmer's markets to see who might be offering organic compost in your area.

Also, if you compost with worms you will see the results a lot faster. You can use a little of the compost you have on hand to start your own. That way you have control over what materials are in the soil for your plants. (For instance, I don't really want a product with manure.)

Ask a Question