Comeback of Ancient Farming Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This one is especially for @Meadowlark ( and all our other organic gardeners) - it kinda goes with this sort of vegetable garden to create a perfect wholesome meal.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The only differences I have with this video are:

1) I'm older:),

2) I'm more laid back:cool:,

3) I'm better looking:sneaky:, and

4) we have 200 acres:love:

Nowadays, my herd is mainly for making healthy veggies:

cow compost 3.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am lost. can someone direct me back to the gardening forum?
It is about gardening.

Essentially, changes in envorionment, climate or political situation and how 'Ancient Farming Methods' provide solutions to the problems we face as gardeners.

If you don't accept the premise that we face problems that modern gardening/farming methods don't address you can't really engage in discussion about the value (in today's world) of ancient farming methods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
It is about gardening.

Essentially, changes in envorionment, climate or political situation and how 'Ancient Farming Methods' provide solutions to the problems we face as gardeners.

If you don't accept the premise that we face problems that modern gardening/farming methods don't address you can't really engage in discussion about the value (in today's world) of ancient farming methods.
I have enough politics in my real world. I dont need it on here.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...If you don't accept the premise that we face problems that modern gardening/farming methods don't address you can't really engage in discussion about the value (in today's world) of ancient farming methods.
I completely reject this premise. Anyone can discuss ancient farming practices and their value whether positive or negative without the doom and gloom of World affairs.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I hereby christen this HK container as "HEADFULLOFBEES" and respectively dedicate it to the demonstration that ancient farming practices of soil replenishment, crop rotation, permaculture, cover cropping, polyculture, organic principles, and biodynamic farming can all be accomplished successfully on a small scale...one container

The container currently has soil depleted by a potato crop. Soil tests show it is woefully lacking in key nutrients needed to support plants. Composted animal manure has been added (biodynamic farming, soil replenishment) and a small handful of Sunn Hemp seed (cover crop, crop rotation, soil replenishment) has been planted in the Hügelkultur container (permaculture). This fall it will be planted in two or three complimentary veggies (polyculture and crop rotation) and the soil tested to see what happens. All of this will be done without use of any synthetic fertilizers and/or chemicals (organic).

This is intended as all in fun.

headfullofbees.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll second that container full o bees and add my bottle of Neem Oil :D

DSC06419.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I completely reject this premise. Anyone can discuss ancient farming practices and their value whether positive or negative without the doom and gloom of World affairs.
Yes, you are correct. Of course you can discuss anything you like without any need for context. What I should have said is that for myself (and very clearly for others on this thread) the reason why Ancient Farming Practices have become relevant to them is as a direct result of world affairs.

I know dozens of people that have recently got involved in growing vegetables using traditional methods - all as a direct result of the current state of the world. The point being - it's not just an intellectual exercise for many. Lots of people believe those old, previously rejected methods are becoming a necessity.

But yes. Anyone can discuss anything they like - a popular discussion point on forums is ALWAYS whether people should be discussing what they're discussing! Some things never change LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question