Chickpeas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I have never grown. has anyone here? what do thet do for the soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States

Plant them in the ground for the best results. Chickpeas take about 100 days after planting to harvest. Time your seed planting so you give yourself enough time between frosts. You can plant chickpeas in a pot with a potting mix but the plants will be limited.​

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, I've grown Garbanzo beans as a rotation, soil building crop. They are comparable to soybeans in my experience as a nitrogen fixer. Very good, better than beans, but not as good as cow peas here in my zone. If using them as a nitrogen fixer, it helps to dust the seed with an inoculant of Rhizobium type of bacteria like Mesorhizobium.

Cow peas do better here with my prolonged high temps and their ability to reseed themselves but anything with "peas" in the name can just about be guaranteed to be good for the soil...and good for the appetite too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I went on to read about chickpeas and the different types. India is evidently the biggest producer worldwide and they grow one called Desi mostly. Silly me I only knew hummus and one recipe that came in a Hello Fresh shipment where I had to fry chickpeas. Your pan needs a helmet for that one because they pop. I wonder if they all taste mostly the same in the way corn or squash or tomatoes do, or is there a real winner.

Ask a Question