Cat Palm Dying! HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Iv had this cat palm for around 8-9 weeks and it’s slowly been dying ever since I got it. The leaves are turning black/brown on the tips and drying up. Also the stems at the base are slowly 1 by 1 rotting and they just pull out with a mouldy smell. I don’t know what to do! Iv reported about 4-5 weeks ago with a brand new pot and Iv been spraying with a neem oil mixture. Someone advise please!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @OwDotzz , welcome :)
I`ve got one of those too!! The first thing to do is stop watering it - especially at this time of year. The roots are plainly much too wet. The second thing is that it hates being indoors in a heated house. It needs to go outside, preferably in a cold greenhouse, or even a porch.
Cover it with a bit of fleece if it gets really frosty. In the spring if it comes back in to the house remember to mist the leaves daily - only water about once in 10 - 14 days, and then do it thoroughly so the water drips through the bottom of the pot, and don`t let it sit in water ever.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What Tetters said. Also, the stones are a nice touch but they keep you from seeing what your soil is doing. I would remove them for now so you can keep an eye on the soil.

The soil looked like it had a ‘fur’ on it initially before I repotted and added stones. But will remove them for now! Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @OwDotzz , welcome :)
I`ve got one of those too!! The first thing to do is stop watering it - especially at this time of year. The roots are plainly much too wet. The second thing is that it hates being indoors in a heated house. It needs to go outside, preferably in a cold greenhouse, or even a porch.
Cover it with a bit of fleece if it gets really frosty. In the spring if it comes back in to the house remember to mist the leaves daily - only water about once in 10 - 14 days, and then do it thoroughly so the water drips through the bottom of the pot, and don`t let it sit in water ever.

thanks! I’ll stop watering it for now then! I’m worried it’s beyond saving now though as a lot of the stems twist and move like they have already rotted! Thanks for your advise though!

Ask a Question