Cactus identification and care

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I returned home from university a few days ago to find a cactus that my aunt left for me to care for. It is actually two cacti potted in the same planter, and I can’t figure out what kind they are. They don’t seem to be super healthy and are kind of falling all over each other. What can I do? I have been planning on trying to separate the plants into two (or more) pots, as they seem super crowded but need to get another pot first. Is that a good idea or should I keep them together? Thank you!
image.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

They're some sorts of Opuntias, will have a further look tomorrow. They look like they could do with some more light, they seem to be getting a bit elongated, but then again, some of them have a sprawling habit anyway.

If you do repot them, wear disposable gloves or wrap tissue around any parts you touch, they have small spines called glochids that detach and dig into your skin :eek:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I have moved them in front of a south-facing window to get more light, so hopefully that will help them. I will definitely keep the gloves in mind if I do repot them :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No problem :)

Minimum water over winter, they shrink slightly but will take up more when you start watering in the spring again. Give them some tomato feed every 2 weeks in the summer too :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is Consolea rubescens, an Opuntioid cactus native to the Caribbean. It sometimes goes by the amusing common name of Road-kill Cactus, because of its especially long and narrow pads (stems). The stems in the photograph are particularly narrow and etoliated due to low light levels. Hopefully it is getting more light and growing more vigorously for you now.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Glad you dragged up an old thread again and showed off your superior knowledge :rolleyes:

I could have used the word etiolated but I didn't think the op would have been that interested.

At least I can spell the word....

Ahh well, you've got it all covered now so I don't need to post anymore.

I'm off now before I embarrass someone that isn't me :whistle:

Bye everyone :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ahh, well, you've got it all covered now so I don't need to post anymore.
Well, if you do post, post about something related to gardening, instead of personally attacking me, or other posters who aren't part of your clique.

It isn't embarrassing to not know something, and I certainly don't pretend to know 'everything', not even close. However I do try to be helpful with what I do know, and I also try to learn more from others, instead of shutting them out.

What is self-embarrassing is being mean and bitter, and bullying other posters. That is what I said to Tetters, and I say it to you as well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glad you dragged up an old thread again and showed off your superior knowledge :rolleyes:

I could have used the word etiolated but I didn't think the op would have been that interested.

At least I can spell the word....

Ahh well, you've got it all covered now so I don't need to post anymore.

I'm off now before I embarrass someone that isn't me :whistle:

Bye everyone :)
Hows tricks hope all is well :)

Ask a Question