Carnivorous Plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Carnivorous Sarracenia flava var rugelii.

Good morning all. My pitcher plant made it through the winter and staryed to regrow with about 6-7 sprouts. Unfortunately for some reason they're not reaching maturity. You can see that it's trying to form the trap part but the tip of it is going brown and so far, none have produced a trap. What am I doing wrong?

James

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some images of the problem.

Attachments

• IMAG0342.jpg
    IMAG0342.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG0340.jpg
    IMAG0340.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0341.jpg
    IMAG0341.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 6

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could be a couple of things; firstly aphids can distort growth, secondly low humidity.
They can go outside from the last frost to first frost with no problems.
What are you growing them in? I've not seen them topped with gravel before. Mostly they are grown in a peat, sand, moss mix or simply chopped moss topped with moss, they need to be kept wet with rainwater.
Where in the UK are you?
Mine grow in pots of moss in washing up bowls filled with moss and stay outside all year round. The moss helps hold the water and keep the humidity up. They will take some frost and although the top growth will be knocked back the rhizomes ill survive. There range extends up into Alberta which has colder winters than most of the UK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning Nigel, thanks for replying. Please see below and thanks for your help.

Firstly aphids can distort growth : I've checked and cannot see any aphids or flies.

Secondly low humidity. They're on the living room windowsill, how would I change the humidity?

They can go outside from the last frost to first frost with no problems. I've only had them indoors. This is the first growth since I bought it already grown.

What are you growing them in? They're in Growth Technology carnivorous plant soil and sit in a deep saucer (about 4 inches) and I keep it topped up so it's always moist/west.

I've not seen them topped with gravel before. Had an issue with blackfly so it's gardeners mesh with gravel on top to stop them laying eggs.

They need to be kept wet with rainwater. I used rainwater and I think that's where the blackfly came from. I have two Venus flytraps potted and watered the same way and they're growing really well after their die off.

Where in the UK are you? Tadworth in Surrey

Mine stay outside all year round. Ideally I want them to be indoor plants.

Thanks again.

James

Ask a Question