Can i put my plants under artificial light 24/7 ?

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Hello, i am planting melon from seeds and i was just wondering if i could put them under artificial light 24/7, would that help or harm the plants ?
Also, when the plants flowers should i just shake thé flowers so they Can pollinate ?
Thank you very much for your help.

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Which melons?
Melons like this
images (59).jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
So yeah if you Can give me some advices i would really appreciate your help. I'm still a beginner in gardening so i don't know that much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Our honeydew melons have a different tan colored skin with a raised rough surface. Is that the name on the package of seeds you bought, honeydew melon? Or is yours called a canary melon?

Generally speaking the melons as a group require a great deal of sun, warm temperatures and a lot of fertilizer. They are high maintenance, and probably not suited for your indoor grow setup. They also need room as they are typically large vines.

Outdoor sun can be 4000 lumen pretty easy. A bright store might be 200 lumen. Bright shade outdoors might be 400 lumen. You need to check your lights. That lumen light energy is a per square area measurment so you need to understand the full size of the large plant to buy enough lights. And then there is a cost of keeping it warm. The chemistry inside the plant is related to the heat. It might not die at lower temps but it wont grow well and an may not flower.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you so much, Can i put mirrors around it so it will have more natural light ? Or does this burn the plant ?
Sunlight radiant energy can be concentrated with lenses. One of the large forest fires the west suffered recently was caused by a moron killing ants. I wonder if he used a magnifier glass? So yes and Yes-No, since it depends on how you do it.

Ask a Question