Cardboard for gardens

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone tried cardboard for weed block in their garden, also for worm production.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried it once. It works but it makes a mess. It takes too long for the cardboard to decompose and the little pieces of decomposed cardboard blowing around is a real eyesore. As far worm production I can see non-corrugated cardboard being a help but I am not so sure about corrugated cardboard such as in boxes. That cardboard has glue and I don't know what the glue is made from.

N

Nick Turner

Works well, but you'll need to weight it down with something to prevent what Chuck says about litter. For anyone who intends to use old tractor tyres as a variant on 'raised beds', laying a good strong cardboard down first before filling with soil will prevent the tyres being colonised by weeds. This is a good scheme for minority crops such as salad items. Placed in a square, two by two, they'll allow for four crops plus, in the star shaped bit in the middle, something like mint or horseradish that you don't want to take over the whole garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We lay cardboard down and cover it with about 10" of compost and wood chips. We haven't had any problems with it yet, but we've only used this method for one season so far.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I seen videos of commercial gardens using cardboard with success. The trick is to wet it down before you put it down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cardboard makes a good mulch, especially when blocking weeds is a primary concern. Use multiple overlapping layers. I alos recommend a generous layer of wood chips or other mulching material over the cardboard. This will anchor the cardboard and overcome most aesthetic objections to its use. I would not usually recommend wetting it before you put it down, but immediately afterwards would be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our Agriplex has a huge supply of used saw dust and wood chips, seasoned with horse and cow manure. I'm going to lay the pallet slips found on top of pallets from grocery stores and such.. Then I'll lay a covering of the wood chips on top. When planting i intend to cut a hole the size of my plastic cups the plants come in. Insert the plants and see if i can do better this year.
Last year was a weeding nightmare. Years before that I raised in contained and supported raised beds. Still searching for the best method for gardening here in Oklahoma.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone tried cardboard for weed block in their garden, also for worm production.
Got Boxes I need to break down for my Garden and going to mulch with Shredded Leaves.

I'm shredding cardboard and getting it damp for my Worms. Give them some Cardboard, Coffee Grounds and Compost this morning.

big rockpile

Ask a Question