Can indoor plants kill?

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most plants take in carbon dioxide through their leaves during the day. These plants do release carbon dioxide at night, but if you are sleeping in a room with a partner, human animals give off CO2 as well. Most people wouldn't kick their partner or dog out of the bedroom before sleeping, so I wouldn't worry.

If you still object to this situation, sleep with your Tillandsia. Tillandsias take in carbon dioxide at night.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My grandmother used to tell me the same thing when I was a kid and I always brushed it off. We don't have a lot of plants indoors now but we did for a time and everyone seemed alright lol. I am planning on growing some plants indoors soon though so I hope we're all right about this or it's going to be a bumpy ride. Thanks to the OP for this thread as it's something I was wondering as well.

Side note: Does anyone know if any plants take in more oxygen than others? *just in case lol*

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/8a
Country
United Kingdom
Side note: Does anyone know if any plants take in more oxygen than others? *just in case lol*
I don't know if some plants take in more oxygen (Bigger ones perhaps :) ) but apparently there are some that give off oxygen during the night as well as the day. I've heard that said about Aloe Vera and spider plants, but apparently NASA did the research for oxygen scrubbing in space and identified several and the best ways to grow them. Who'd have thought space travel would help research gardening?

I found the details of the study on plants that improve air by B.C. Wolverton, but not a list of the plants in question. Apparently it is in his book, which I don't own.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have asthma and I got tons of plants in my bedroom and I'm fine!!
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Our indoor plants are in the living room only and none in the bedroom. But if our bedroom happens to be spacious, I would probably have some plants inside. My sister's bedroom has a sky roof with a rock garden and a small fountain right inside the bedroom. And that oxygen inhaled by plants is a myth because according to our biology class, man inhales oxygen while plants inhale carbon dioxide which is exhaled by man and plants exhale oxygen which is inhaled by man. In other words, man and plants are a good match.

Wow I'd love to see pic of that bedroom!!!!

Reaction score
I haven't heard of indoor plants killing anyone-- unless ofcourse it's poisonous so I feel as though it's slightly ridiculous. Human beings breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide, plants do the opposite. In a perfect ecosystem you would be fine, perhaps even healthier. I think you should look into the type of plants you have, if your pets or insects gather around it and so on and basically clean it up. Dust/dirt is really bad for asthmatics.

Ask a Question