Can I use compost in thermophilic phase in garden bed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You guys are so large scale, When I wrote it I was thinking of the small ornamental pond we cleared out recently, lots of silt, baby newts and toads and masses of Canadian pondweed, water lilies, kingcups, and a lot of grass. The animals went back in, and a bit of lily and kingcup, but over a barrowload went on the compost heap, which can always do with damping down a bit.
Well, I think it is fine to add things to the composting.
If I had muck I'd consider adding some here and there to the compost tumbler.
I simply believe in the biology and it's turning things into plant friendly soil amendments through the processes.
The best thing about scale and organic gardening is that it can be large or small and it's all the same.
I'm onboard for fresh vegetables since what gets here from wherever was maybe fresh when it got on the truck but, for example, limp celery can be found on the shelves here along with selections of skimpy kale or other things that cost a lot but are almost revolting in their quality. I am from the central valley of California. What is on the shelves here sometime is what I would expect to see in a food pantry charity there because it's just beyond it's competitive shelf life there. Not that it's rotten just that it's not the fresh produce I am so accustomed to having when I lived in California.
I'm diabetic now and I changed my diet radically because of that diagnosis. My diet is basically 80% veggie and 20% protein diet. I understand that I soon will be off insulin so lets give veggies a hand! Also I am losing weight.
So it's all about the idea of healthy and that starts with the soil in this gardener's mind.
Also, as we all know, social security goes up a dollar and then prices go up five dollars so to speak. Growing my own is just about a necessity when I stop and think about it and having more than I need means I can share.

Can I get an Amen? Yeah looks like I am on the pulpit.

Time for the second cup of Coffee..

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... Growing my own is just about a necessity when I stop and think about it and having more than I need means I can share.

Can I get an Amen?
Amen! Aaa men!

I have a quarter of an acre that is just as Clay as what I am working so there is plenty of opportunity to try things that way.

May I suggest a little experiment for you on that 1/4-acre clay that might become a part of growing something? Instead of doing all the work you are doing on the current plot, plant that 1/4 acre in winter rye, clovers, and vetch and next spring till in the green manure and then compare the soil to your current plot. Would be very interesting.

It may be too late in your location to get a good cover going but I doubt it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm diabetic now and I changed my diet radically because of that diagnosis. My diet is basically 80% veggie and 20% protein diet. I understand that I soon will be off insulin so lets give veggies a hand! Also I am losing weight.
That's great, but isn't it a shame we don't think of these things before we get that kick. I know I am the same.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Amen! Aaa men!

May I suggest a little experiment for you on that 1/4-acre clay that might become a part of growing something? Instead of doing all the work you are doing on the current plot, plant that 1/4 acre in winter rye, clovers, and vetch and next spring till in the green manure and then compare the soil to your current plot. Would be very interesting.

It may be too late in your location to get a good cover going but I doubt it.
Well friend, I'm working a large area with the mule and so far it's really huge plot for me.
What I plan and, feel free to comment, is to use those winter cover crop mix and if it's too little seed for the area mix in some orchard grass seed.
Then in spring put half of the plot into production and grow green manure to turn under for the fall crop on the other half.
With the cover crop for cold weather I don't remember the SqFt the cold climate cover crop mix covers but if I have to I'll make do by adding orchard grass seed that I figure will fade early in the cold. .
I plan to spread some urea before cover crop planting so that all gets tilled in so the carbon has some nitrogen to go with it for the microbes..
The soil right now is holding heat in places so I figure some activity is happening.
Besides where there was a bit of organic material decayed there will be a micro air pocket.

About other places in the yard, I was thinking of a test plot with things like comfrey actually.
Comfrey is an excellent green manure. It has all the major and some minor nutrients in it I read. It also will grow in my clay soil so there is an idea.
I just checked and I might be able to grow comfrey "It is certified to grow as a perennial in the United States in USDA Hardiness Zones 4-9."

The other ideas are to find root crops that drill down well. I thought I read about something that was good for transforming clay soils by breaking it up with their roots but I don't remember exactly.
A hundred ideas and not the energy of drive I had at 30 when i had my last outdoor garden.

It is a good thing I am up and out from in front of the computer. I will write code 18 hours a day if I let myself.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's great, but isn't it a shame we don't think of these things before we get that kick. I know I am the same.
They put the fear of death into me.
I was ready to pay attention with an I.V. drip of insulin in my arm.
Yeah, this is the year of not only myself dropping punds but my oldest kitty who was nine pounds when she should have been six pounds is now skinny too. Sympathy dieting? A diet of moles and gophers isn't Fancy Feast high calorie canned food.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The other ideas are to find root crops that drill down well. I thought I read about something that was good for transforming clay soils by breaking it up with their roots but I don't remember exactly.
Daikon radish is one that is like that has deep root system. Alfalfa and winter rye and turnips are some others I've used and like with very deep root systems.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Daikon radish is one that is like that has deep root system. Alfalfa and winter rye and turnips are some others I've used and like with very deep root systems.
Oh boy.. So much to choose from.
It's about going around the sun now.
I like turnips. I don't know of any alfalfa being grown around here but then I am a home body and I haven't gone anyplace to look at crops.
They say Soy and Corn are the two and the other advice was 17-17-17 or some such chemical advice.. Like no thanks me organic :)
I'll keep your advice in mind.

Ask a Question