Can anyone help with these brown-black spots on my rubber plant?

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi everyone, I bought this HUGE rubber plant for (too?) cheap at a supermarket, and it already has a leaf with large blackish-brown spots on it. I don't think I've overwatered it but it's been very humid and there hasn't been much sunlight here this week. Any input/help would be much appreciated ! I have bad memories of a previous rubber plant whose leaves did this before all dropping off. I want to save this big baby!
tempImageeR95pU.jpg
cheers :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How long have you had it?
How much light does it get?
How far from a window is it?
How often have you watered it?
Does the pot have a hole in the bottom?
Does water come out of the bottom when you water? How much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are some relevant questions, the most common cause is root rot due to waterlogging. If it is that you will need to re-pot and also remove the rotting root material, giving it a day out of the pot to let the air to the roots.

Reaction score
Country
France
Thanks for your answers ! I’ve only had it a for about a week or so. When I bought it I repotted it immediately (didn’t notice any root rot but didn’t inspect the roots closely) and watered it once. Yes there is a hole in the pot and I put some pebbles at the bottom (and used « universal » potting mix) but I’m not sure the drainage is good enough. Maybe I should move it to a place with better light ? (It only gets indirect light). Can I really have caused root rot from a single watering ?! If I let it dry out do you think it can make it ? I’m worried repotting twice in such a short time might cause more damage than good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don’t repot. You are correct that a single watering in a pot with a drain hole. It hasn’t been anywhere near long enough for your watering to be a problem. I would say move it to a brighter location. Rubber trees can survive in low-light conditions but they don’t thrive.
FWIW gravel or rocks in the bottom makes the drainage worse, not better. No need to remove though. Just remember the possible issue.

Reaction score
Country
France
Oo thank you, I didn’t know about gravel/rocks making the drainage worse :) I moved it closer to the window, hope that helps. Also, I left the leaf that has the spots on the plant, is that ok or should I remove it like I would if it was diseased/ caused by fungus ?

Ask a Question