Can anyone help with an Activinia (cape gooseberry)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably 15 years old against a fence, grown just for the lovely pink leaves. Should it be pruned and if so when? In Scotland but it still seems to survive, fruit is not expected. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I like this climber too but don't know whether it would survive up here. Below is advice from Alan Titchmarsh on how to prune.

Actinidia kolomikta (kolomikta vine)
Before new growth starts in early spring, kolomikta vines can be pruned to keep them within bounds. First, remove any crossing, diseased or over-crowded stems. Established plants should then have the previous year’s growth cut back by about half its length, cutting back to an outward-facing bud. Neglected plants also can be rejuvenated by cutting back the mass of tangled growth with shears, then pruning the stems back to a healthy bud near to the main framework of branches. Kolomikta vines even respond to drastic pruning – thinning or lopping out some of the main framework of branches at this time of the year to a younger sideshoot lower down on the climber.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Sheal, that's useful, will prune next spring now. You are further north than me but this actinidia must be about 15 years old and no problem with the weather (up to now!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
After reading your post yesterday I did a bit of investigation and I don't think it would survive here, sadly. I live in an open, rural area. I'm glad to hear yours is happy with it's situation though. :)

Ask a Question