Calling all cat lovers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Teddy and Twitch, and the matching couch.
twitch and teddy couch.jpg

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just spotted this Alp; many thanks for posting. Bron and I love cats although we no longer have one of our own. We still spend around £20 each week on peanuts and cat biscuits/food to feed all the critters who visit us.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
This is my buddy, Teddy. he was captured as a feral at about age 9 weeks along with his brother Phantom. Kept in a huge GSD crate for a few weeks to allow them to get used to human movement, human touch, voice. Finally, he crossed over and gave me the best loving eyes . And that was about 15 years ago. The thing with a feral, they are so hooked to only one or two people. So, anyone else will send him hiding to the woods, or under the bed. But they seem to me more clever /smart that a hand raised domestic cat. And his brother also finally crossed over, but he still kept reservations about the whole thing.
Anyway, here is my love.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a lovely story Esther; mutual love. (y)

One of our previous cats called Cola was a rescue cat from the Cats Protection League. A low life moron had cut Cola's tail off and thrown Cola into the canal in Marsden near Huddersfield; the fire service rescued him.

When we brought Cola home he was understandably quite vicious; biting and clawing all the time; both Bron and I suffered many cuts and bites then one day after yet another set of claws I gave Cola two sound slaps in retaliation after all we were kind to him and not the ones to blame for his ill treatment; Cola immediately changed towards me and became a best friend; whilst I was watching TV he would climb up onto my chest for a lot of TLC; one day he became a bit too excited and bit my chin. Cola was a ginger Tom.

When we went to bed we could hear Cola chasing his ball around the kitchen; he was a star; in the kitchen we have a radiator and we were sure Cola was using the radiator pipes as goal posts; unfortunately poor Cola was too enthusiastic and broke his jaw which many years ago cost £720 to sort out; at the same time we had our Tabby; yes a tabby cat; Tabby followed Bron everywhere so Tabby was Bron's cat and Cola mine; Bron was still rather scared of Cola and wouldn't pick him up to cuddle him; when Cola finally became very ill he climbed onto Bron's lap for a cuddle which we have always believed to be his thank you to Bron for all the loving she gave him; I cradled Cola in my arms whilst the Vet put Cola to sleep; Bron and I left the vets feeling very distressed and in tears but then cats are family aren't they? :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Colin , that is a reason both were kept inside the huge GSD crate. I never had scratches from them, nor bites. would never force myself to hold them. would sometime just sit outside the crate and just be silent. then soft talking etc. the crate was located in a good traffic area so our walking to and fro became normal to them. the crate was big enough that I could open the door an edge my body 1/2 in for them to feel my being near them. gentle pets at first, short duration of time. then some easy pick ups for seconds and then down. all the time talking gently. it took weeks, to get to the part where they allowed me to keep them in my lap. (again I am still inside the crate) . then that one moment, will never forget, Teddy turned his eyes toward my face with immediate total acceptance and love look.

Keeping them in a crate during this process eliminated trying to find them in hidden places in the house, pulling them out of there etc. It serves as immediately them getting exposed to humans being around them, and them being able to simply watch. and still having some security /safety.

I did google a lot about feral cats. when you capture them at that age, after having no human contact at all.

Still to this day, no scratches or bits from either of them. actually not any of my cats have ever done that.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your interesting story Esther; every cat is different with its own characteristics but once they trust you they accept you.

Our Cola could be excused for being so vicious because of the way he had previously been mistreated and abused; we kept him in our kitchen for weeks after bringing him home; first job Bron did was to feed and water him; we've never seen a cat so hungry before; enjoying his fourth saucer of food we reckoned that was one for each leg. We've loved all our cats; our Gino was diabetic and for a year we spent a lot of money on him; every morning I took a urine sample then injected him; in the end though we had to have him put to sleep which was another tearful job.

Our neighbour Carole has a tabby named Max who visits us many times each day; he's a real character; if he's standing its OK to stroke and make a fuss of him but if he lays on his back with legs in the air inviting us to tickle his tummy then suddenly its claws and teeth; he still catches Carole out though.

Max; Aspro; Harvey; Dudley; Ruby; Sooty and Gruffalo are a few of the local cats who visit us every day; we no longer have a cat of our own but every time I do the supermarket shopping I return with lots of cat food and biscuits; do you know Blackbirds like cat biscuits; our blackbirds look well on them?

I've made Max a little bungalow and he's certainly spoiled by Carole and us.

Kind regards, Colin.

Cats_001.JPG

Max's new bungalow. Should last for many years to come.

Cats_002..JPG

Our belated Furrball; we were surprised when a friend asked of us why we called him Furrball? We loved him but he treated us with total disdain thinking us well below him the snob.

Cats_003.JPG

Our belated Tabby; with us from a kitten to 18 years old; followed Bron everywhere.

Cats_004.JPG

Neighbours cat Ruby; visits us many times each day for a bit of food and TLC.

Ask a Question