Cabbage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I once had been to what we call Chinese garden here in the city. It is a vacant lot rented by a Chinese farmer where he plants cabbage, Chinese lettuce and other vegetables that we see in Chinese restaurants. They sell to the public so we sometimes buy vegetables there. When I saw the cabbage, I didn't know that it has big leaves that are open like mustard or lettuce and those leaves would close when the cabbage matures.

To me, the cabbage is fascinating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen ornamental cabbage growing before, and they are certainly good looking! The regular cabbage is relatively cheap here and kept very long in the refrigerator so I have not thought of growing it myself. I would love to try growing Chinese broccoli one day as these ones are expensive to purchase.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried growing cabbage, so I don't know much about it. It does sound fascinating!
I love Chinese food. It's delicious:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I have seen ornamental cabbage growing before, and they are certainly good looking! The regular cabbage is relatively cheap here and kept very long in the refrigerator so I have not thought of growing it myself. I would love to try growing Chinese broccoli one day as these ones are expensive to purchase.

Chinese broccoli used to be cheap but now it is expensive so we prefer the American broccoli because my husband has a recipe of that - chicken broccoli. It is like chop suey although the cooking is a bit different with the butter as main flavoring. For the cabbage, we have many cooking styles but the fastest is sauteing in butter. Just that, fry in butter and garlic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I use to grow red cabbage but it takes up so much room in my small veggie garden. I like to stuff it with chicken and other veggies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What Chinese broccoli look like? How are they different from regular ones? I love broccoli, I eat them almost every day:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We love Chinese cabbage at our house and the grocery stores around here call it Napa Cabbage. I like this kind of cabbage because it is more leafy and less dense than regular cabbage. It tastes really good cooked up into a stir fry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What Chinese broccoli look like? How are they different from regular ones? I love broccoli, I eat them almost every day:)

They have green stems with a little florets on top! Really good to stir fried with almost every meat, chicken and sea food. I don't have a photo to show you, but you can find them only at Asian market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, we don't have an Asian market here:( But I've just googled Chinese broccoli. They're so weird, they look like green asparagus with leaves!;) I'd love to try them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
They have green stems with a little florets on top! Really good to stir fried with almost every meat, chicken and sea food. I don't have a photo to show you, but you can find them only at Asian market.

There is a fastfood here serving Chinese food. They used to have Chinese broccoli in their menu. So those little flowers are called florets? But from what I understand, they are just called Chinese broccoli but not real broccoli in the sense that they look more like the Chinese lettuce. Anyway, Chinese broccoli is nutritious so we always order it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes they are delicious @Corzhens and I always order this dish when we eat out at the Chinese restaurant. I love how green they are and the healthy part of it topped the scale for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Healthy, delicious treats are the best, aren't they? We have a nice Chinese restaurant here, but unfortunately they don't serve Chinese broccoli:(

Ask a Question