Building your own tumbling composter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
LOL, at "the turning thing." That is why I like the idea of something with a lid that you can roll as an alternative to an expensive tumbling composter. I'm down with low-tech, and low exertion!

Reaction score
I find it almost impossible to turn the compost I keep in converted wheelie bins. It will take forever for them to fully compost. I am tempted to tip them all out into a heap but the better half is saying she doesn't want the back garden looking like a tip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to start the compost in buckets and then transfer it to bigger containers later. I know for some people this is impossible since you have such large mounds of waste, but there has to be a way to make it less back-breaking other than buying expensive equipment and systems. Even the stuff I have seen in catalogs seems to work best for smaller scale urban composting.

Reaction score
Starting it in buckets wouldn't work if you want the compost to heat as the actual pile has to be a certain size. Plus of course you need the right combination of greens and browns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Starting it in buckets wouldn't work if you want the compost to heat as the actual pile has to be a certain size. Plus of course you need the right combination of greens and browns.

What do you mean by "browns"?

Reaction score
Greens are your nitrogen filled stuff like grass and fresh leaves and kitchen scraps.

Browns are the carbons like dried leaves, paper, cardboard, bark etc

You have to get the mixture of those right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ah ok, just wanted to make sure I understood that. I used to try to have two different piles because not all plants need the nitrogen from composted grass, but I don't live alone and the rest of the household didn't participate. Now I plan to get bokashi supplies and a pyramid composter.

Reaction score
No the nitrogen is needed, regardless of what plants you will put the compost on.

Without the right combination the decomposition will be very slow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well I plan to get some compost to go in with the new material, I read somewhere that it was a good idea, and I have some potting soil I plan to recycle into the compost as well. I read somewhere that it was good to do that as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, I definitely have some soil I can use until I get some compost to mix in. I have been wanting to get some compost to mix into potting soil to amend it. Maybe recycling soil will be enough for me to get started with.

Reaction score
You can also buy compost activators at a DIY store or a garden centre but I don't know how effective they are.

One of the best activators is reputed to be fresh urine:eek: I suppose it beats the people who drink it every morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
OMG, lol! I actually knew someone who drank their own urine, though it wasn't a daily thing. I can't imagine using urine to activate compost, but it's nice to know there are options. This gives me something else to read up on.

Tam

Reaction score
I really like the idea of having one of these to produce compost more quickly than my current Heath Robinson method of a wheelie bin with holes drilled in.

So my questions are:

Are tumbling composters all they are cracked up to be and do they work as efficiently as people say? Has anyone here built one and has any tips? I have found a few different how-tos online but what is the best design?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

My husband built our compost bins. Two of them work really well. One for new compost and one that is breaking down. The compost looks like dirt when all finished.I have a picture not the best one but it is the only one I have right now. Black barrels sitting on a metal frame with wheels that allow us to turn the bin. There is a door on the side that latches shut. You do get some liquid pouring out of the bin when turning.
compost bin.jpg

Reaction score
They look fantastic! Your husband is very handy by the look of it.

How long does it take to get fully decomposed compost from them?

Ask a Question