Bromeliads

Reaction score
Are bromeliads hard to grow? Do they need a lot of light or are they okay indoors without direct sunlight? Does anyone have experience with growing bromeliads? Can you share you knowledge here? I saw some here they so pretty.. and if they can survive the lack of direct sunlight I can make a place for them inside my home..

bromeliad_11.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I want air plants in my house but a neighbor has those in her garden house and they do great

Reaction score
I want air plants in my house but a neighbor has those in her garden house and they do great
Sissy, I want air plants too.. But bromeliads look so wonderfully bright and cheerful .. When you say garden house do you mean indoors?

Reaction score
I just posted this video on another thread, someone was asking a question about Bromeliads, and no, they are not that hard to care for. Adding a small amount of Epsom salts to the soil will encourage plant growth and blooming. If your plant is at least a year old, you can help it bloom by exposing it to ethylene gas. Enclose the plant in a plastic bag or paper sack with a ripe apple. Keep them out of the direct sun for a week before removing the sack and apple. The apple releases ethylene gas, which causes the plant to quit producing green leaves and begin producing a flower in six to eight weeks. When you get a new bud on your Bromeliad, that's where the new bloom will come from, and not from the original bloom, which should be cut off when it dies.

Reaction score
Thanks Taskeinc, somehow I am not able to view this video. I do not know what is blocking it. :/ Does this plant need a lot of sunlight? I have absolutely no place now where I can have this plant if your answer will be in the positive. If not I will get myself a plant and give it a bit of artificial light/. I love the colors and would really want to have one .

Reaction score
I live in Florida and Bromeliads are popular here and grow easily in the warm weather. I don't think they need full sun because my neighbor has some red ones growing under a palm tree where they are partially shaded and they seem to be doing great.

Reaction score
Thanks Taskeinc, somehow I am not able to view this video. I do not know what is blocking it. :/ Does this plant need a lot of sunlight? I have absolutely no place now where I can have this plant if your answer will be in the positive. If not I will get myself a plant and give it a bit of artificial light/. I love the colors and would really want to have one .
If you're keeping your Bromeliad indoors then you will need to place it in an area that offers bright light.

Bromeliads like bright sun but not direct light. Direct sunlight for an extended period of time will damage the leaves. They can live in shady areas but only if it's outdoors.

Reaction score
If you're keeping your Bromeliad indoors then you will need to place it in an area that offers bright light.

Bromeliads like bright sun but not direct light. Direct sunlight for an extended period of time will damage the leaves. They can live in shady areas but only if it's outdoors.
Thanks for that response. I might be able to find some small space I guess.. I need to juggle around with the plants I have. I will not buy this until I am sure I have the right place for it.. and it is an expensive plant to boot.

Ask a Question