Broken acre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just repotted a acer and unfortunately snapped off one of the large branches. I have taped it back into position and made a sling from string to support the weight. Am I able to maybe put a bolt through it or is this branch just going to die

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums

A solid acre of broken Acer...?

A broken branch can sometimes be rejoined, but of course there are no guarantees, and even a joined branch may remain structurally weak and possibly unsafe.

Join the break and seal it together with grafting tape... and now you wait.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Actually, you have a couple of choices: 1) propagate the cutting into another plant (if it hasn't been detached long) Tons of y-tube how to videos available, fairly easy or 2) tape it back into position as you have done and see what it does...but I would NOT use a bolt or any metal in the support.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Propagating a cutting isn't another option for repairing a branch. It's another use entirely for a piece of wood.
In that case, you might as well add add mulching, composting, floral arrangement, and wood whittling as other choices.

Ask a Question