Blight on Tomato seeding in the house

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I am brand new to the forum and looking for a little advice.

I got some new indoor lights and heating pads this year for Christmas and wanted to try them out. I planted a few things including one tomato. Its a little early still here to get a lot going. So my tomato is doing great! Nice thick stem came up good and quick. very happy with the result. ( Up till now never had much luck staring inside.)

My poor little Tomato has blight. Now I did get the soil from the garden in the area the potatoes where last year. I do have potatoes in the house that are rooting like crazy. I dont have anywhere else to keep them.

So it is just that it was the soil from the garden? Will just using fresh soil for starting inside going to prevent this from happening to my seedings when I get them all going next month? Or is this because I have the potatoes in the house?

If it is the soil from the garden is there away to treat it? I will be moving the potatoes this year to a different garden. Still would like the blight gone from the soil if thats were its come from. We did have potato blight last year.

I not very happy about my poor little tomato and sad that I am going to have to toss it. Unless someone knows of away to help it. As far as know there is nothing to do but toss it.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Attachments

• 20240217_115020.jpg
    20240217_115020.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240217_115033.jpg
    20240217_115033.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you sure that is blight? that looks more like malnutrition and insufficient lighting to me or environmental conditions. I can point out things for you to check.

The plant isn't getting enough light the way it is sitting in your photos. That grow light may not be putting out enough light to start with judging by the lighting off the wall. What grow light is that?

What kind of soil is that? That looks like coco mix for starting plants?

The leaf edges are browing which indicates overwatering which could be washing away the nutrients. What are you fertilizing with?

The pH of the soil may be way off causing a nutrient lock out. What are you watering with?

The heating pad may be overheating the soil. Warmer soil pushes the plant to grow faster.

The romaine lettuce is not getting enough nitrogen either. It should be darker green than that. It could be the lighting making it look pale I suppose.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Are you sure that is blight? that looks more like malnutrition and insufficient lighting to me or environmental conditions. I can point out things for you to check.

The plant isn't getting enough light the way it is sitting in your photos. That grow light may not be putting out enough light to start with judging by the lighting off the wall. What grow light is that?

What kind of soil is that? That looks like coco mix for starting plants?

The leaf edges are browing which indicates overwatering which could be washing away the nutrients. What are you fertilizing with?

The pH of the soil may be way off causing a nutrient lock out. What are you watering with?

The heating pad may be overheating the soil. Warmer soil pushes the plant to grow faster.

The romaine lettuce is not getting enough nitrogen either. It should be darker green than that. It could be the lighting making it look pale I suppose.
The soil was just out of the garden, whatever my husband been buying. Just using our well water with a small watering can. I have not used any fertilizer. Not sure I have any left. I turned the heat matt off weeks ago. I thought it was just to get the seeds starting.

I am very new to all of this. I will see what I have for fertilizer. If I have any it is a 4/4/4.

Now that you mentioned it the romaine is a little light.

I hope you are right that it is not blight.

Here is a link for the lights.

As for the way its sitting, I had moved it around for the photo. I will see what I can do to move light up, I can add a second one.

Thank you so much for your help!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The soil was just out of the garden, whatever my husband been buying. Just using our well water with a small watering can. I have not used any fertilizer. Not sure I have any left. I turned the heat matt off weeks ago. I thought it was just to get the seeds starting.

I am very new to all of this. I will see what I have for fertilizer. If I have any it is a 4/4/4.

Now that you mentioned it the romaine is a little light.

I hope you are right that it is not blight.

As for the way its sitting, I had moved it around for the photo. I will see what I can do to move light up, I can add a second one.

Thank you so much for your help!
I do have some bone meal and blood meal, but I am out of my 4/4/4. I will try pick something up when I go to town next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The soil was just out of the garden, whatever my husband been buying.
Oh ok. It could have contained a fungus of some sort. Whatever is native to your area so to speak. Do you know you have tomato blight in your garden?

Just using our well water with a small watering can.
Down here the pH of well water or city water can be on the alkaline side (hard water). You are way up north with snow melt and different rocks so I havent a clue what your water contains and I don't think there is a way to look it up in Canada. It would help to know what you are watering with.

I have not used any fertilizer. Not sure I have any left.
If I have any it is a 4/4/4.
I think they could use some fertilizer.

I turned the heat matt off weeks ago. I thought it was just to get the seeds starting.
It is. You are right.

It doesn't give any lumens or kelvin specs so I don't know. You may have to use another light side by side. Maybe one closer on the lower plants and one higher up on the tomato and taller plants. Maybe even use the other two lights.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Lets hope this works today, I had a hard reposting the other day.

So I added 2 of my old lights in. I never had luck with them, maybe the lights them have what I am missing. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08GXCV9P8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

My husband picked up fertilizer. I should not have sent him. It is not water soluble. Just a sprinkle on the top. Is what it is.

I have attached a shot of the well water testing we had done 4 years ago. I think its a lot harder than that. We had run it a lot when we first put the pump in.

No idea if we have tomato bright, we do have Potato bright. We did get the soil for a local guy. As far as we know it comes off his farm

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 3.13.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-17 at 3.13.02 PM.png
    330.3 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your water pH is way up there. Too high really.
pH 7.91, TA 302. Try 1.7 teaspoons of 5% distilled white vinegar per gallon of water to lower the pH down to around 6.5. You'll need someway to check the pH of the water just to make sure of the final pH. This will do:

Test solution. If pH is still too high add a little more vinegar.

Dont add anything such as water soluble fertilizer to that water. It will further drop the pH of the water.

My husband picked up fertilizer. I should not have sent him. It is not water soluble. Just a sprinkle on the top. Is what it is.
Should be fine just takes a little longer to work.

You should be good after you fix the lighting, pH, and nutrient problems if done in time.

Ask a Question