Blackberry propigation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have a nice blackberry cane that has been in place for two years but I have not let it expand yet. It set a large quantity of nice fruit last year so I want to expand this one.

Locally it is early spring here, still a month until typical last frost. Even with the failed winter I would not be surprised to get snow on the grass again this season. The cane has started to leaf out for the season.

What are my best options for propagating this. Long term I would like 20 feet of this bramble roughly centered on where I have the one cane. I am thinking tip layering canes possibly touching down in two places per cane.

Any real downsides to tip layering? Should I take cuttings instead and root them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Blackberries are the easiest thing ever to propogate:

Wait and look for a primocane to sprout up. When it gets long enough bend it over and stick it the tip into a container with potting mix. Water and keep moist for about 1 month. Check for roots. I use clear containers so I can see but the roots will come out the bottom drain holes and root to the ground at some point. Cut the stem off leaving at least a foot with a few leaf buds. Harden off for a week or two and then plant that.

I've tried the cutting method which does work but cuttings require a higher skill level that I don't posess.

Ask a Question