Been a bit busy

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice idea DM, but I'm living outside the system at the moment. The man doesn't know where I am :ninja:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ahh, I have a business relation in such a condition. May I then suggest you share your good bounty with a person in your wide circle who suffers upon bended knee? They may be appreciative of the difference that paper records as the true cost vs that cost that might satisfy your interests.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I just want to sell it for cash mate :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No.. you want to sell it for the most profit. Cash is merely the medium of exchange to which you are restricting yourself... IMHO it is a work of art that has a practical application, and if someone else does arbitrage with the art and woodworking market for their unique council issues then you would not care, except to understand their need for depreciation and such gritty detail.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would suggest a contract for a higher price with a down payment that was non refundable. Not sure what a limey pays in taxes? 50% ? It is outside my ability to know. My thought is surely a person could pay at a 1:5 or even a 1:1. But this is the area of the art of negotation.If it is more than 1:1, the idea of cordial sharing goes out the window like a bird.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
@DirtMechanic Standard income tax rate in the UK is 20% if you're in the system and earning sufficient to pay tax. If you're not in the system and with no income then the rate is 0%.

I think that Zigs is saying that he needs to sell the item so that he can increase his financial condition by 100% of the sale price. At the moment the sale price is indeterminate. The inference being that, at the moment, he is skint, stony, strapped etc. (English vernacular).

@zigs good luck with trying to sell it.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need to sell the lathe but I can't find a price for any online :eek:

Any ideas @Colin ?

Sorry zigs; I don't know how I missed something regarding lathes. :(

Such a pole lathe as yours is very difficult to put a price on because of so many variables; very few would want a pole lathe when they have electricity laid on because using an electric powered lathe is just so convenient and occupies a smaller footprint; my industrial Union Graduate only occupies the space of a gents cycle; my Record Power DML 24" sits on a small stand.

Pole lathes obviously are used in rural settings very near where the green timber is felled; as you've found out zigs pole lathes are really only suited to turning green timber unless you have lots of time and patience but it's very surprising just how much work can be produced on a pole lathe in a single day; please see here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging

Your pole lathe looks robust and you've put the hours in designing and building it whilst also supplying the timber; I'm used to traditional lathes but since you ask and I could be way off the mark not knowing the true value or the value you place on this lathe but perhaps try £150 but put it on Gumtree then it costs you nothing in fees; this is entirely a guess but buyers of such a lathe will be few; I'm basing my guess on what a basic electric powered lathe could sell for; your's though is a one off and unique; if you consider it to be worth a lot more and it could be I wish you all the best and by all means put your own estimate on as to price; it will either sell or won't sell but at least you'll find out; selling through eBay is something I avoid because of the fees involved; I've sold machines for over £1,200 on Gumtree without paying a penny if fees. I like Gumtree because deals are easily negotiable between seller and buyer; offer a free demonstration and yes you are selling the lathe because you're upgrading; well you've got the bug for woodturning haven't you.

Just an idea zigs; if you've got access to plenty of free green timber and have the time to practice and speed up your production why not turn a few plates/bowls and sell them; even if you don't produce showroom pieces many people like the look of rustic items. I've recently been woodturning just for pleasure because for many years I've fancied turning small lidded boxes mostly faceplate work; previously I've turned between centers on a need to do basis but now I can spend ages just enjoying being at the lathe; I have a lot of money invested in my lathes and tooling but it's the finished item which counts and on a pole lathe using jam chucks I'm sure similar work could be produced; I'm all in favour of promoting lathe work of any kind.

I'm very interested to follow what happens and really do wish you the best of luck zigs in getting a fair price to both parties. Please feel free to email me if you think I can help in any way?

I'm impressed by your progress and you're using a type of lathe I've never used; good on you. (y):)

Kind regards, Colin.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers all :)

Good suggestions, I'll give em a go :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if it would be worth getting in touch with one of those places that showcases 'life in the old days', they might be interesting in something like this as part of their attraction. I can't think of any down south off the top of my head but there must be some... Plus they'll be flush with cash at the moment from all the holiday visitors! ;)

Ask a Question