Azalea's are in bloom

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can tell it is spring when the azalea's start to bloom. While walking yesterday I saw a pretty display of white azalea's in a neighbors front yard.

We have the red and pink plants in the back, it is so pretty to look out and see them when the plant is in full bloom, I wish the blooms lasted longer.

Anyone else growing azalea's?

Reaction score
They are starting to come as are many other flowering plants and trees. In Connecticut we had an extremely late spring so everything is popping in fast forward time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, azaleas aren't my favorite plants, so I don't grow them. In my opinion they look a little too exotic. There are plenty of them in a park near my home though. I like walking there when they're in bloom:)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, we love azaleas. It is a little early here for blooms but won't be long. If interested, I'll post some pictures on this thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think I forgot to fertilize mine last September. PH is 6.5 maybe thats why they are yellowy, too high. Its the red in the leaves on a few that worries me about root fungus. We had two huge trees taken near that spot and root rot was involved with one of them for sure. The other just up and quit but the stump seems solid enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've got a ton of azaleas, unfortunately they are all in too shady of a location and are rather anemic looking.

I just bought a few "Autumn twist" encore azaleas for a nice sunny spot. I'll get pics when they bloom... They are small, but have a few buds on them now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've got a ton of azaleas, unfortunately they are all in too shady of a location and are rather anemic looking.

I just bought a few "Autumn twist" encore azaleas for a nice sunny spot. I'll get pics when they bloom... They are small, but have a few buds on them now.
Me too. I have azalea that are so shady they wont even grow up. like up, bushier and taller. They are in some happy short zone. Yet in that same area I can grow a voodoo lilly that smells like a dead squirrel farted. Azalea hang in there, but they really do need some sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mine seem pretty thin, but they don't seem to get any worse, so ya. I guess they find some happy equilibrium where they just survive forever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Mine seem pretty thin, but they don't seem to get any worse, so ya. I guess they find some happy equilibrium where they just survive forever.
The voodoo lily is a light level reference from a person who is too lazy to chase it further because B movies and distractions. The azalea area is mainly a summer full shade but leaves fall in off season and keep azalea because they are evergreen here.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here come the spring azaleas ...just now blooming here in East Texas but still a week or two away from the peak.
Some of the various colors....
az 2020 1.JPG

az 2020 2.JPG

az 2020 3.JPG

az 2020 5.JPG

az 2020 4.JPG

Ask a Question