Avocado seedlings die, why?

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
I am experimenting with avocado seedlings. For some reason my seedlings when they reach around 30cm in height they start to die from top to bottom.

I dont recall what soil i used exactly in these pots in the image, but i think i used normal potting soil. Also i should mention that i dont use any kind of firtilizeer at this stage.

I am in zone 10, plenty of sun and no snow.
Is this overwatering? underwatering? what is my mistake?

Today i planted another seed and used just for experimentation , a soil that is heavy on peat moss.

avocado.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, hope your recent experimentation is going well. I'm in zone 10 and into avocados too though just a beginner.

I've had good luck with well-draining soil for seedlings, made from organic potting soil that's been sifted to remove the wood/forest products mixed 50/50 with play sand, the kind that's been pre-washed. When it's sunny and warm/hot I'll water every day, less in fall/winter. I also use fallen leaves from a mature avocado tree as mulch to shield the seed and lower stem from sun.

Here's a couple that's I'm about to pot up today:

IMG_3062.jpg

Got a bunch of others starting off:

IMG_3059.jpg

The challenge for me has been grafting- I'm about 2 for 10 so far, not sure why my success rate is so low, from watching vids everyone makes it seem so easy lol.

Best one so far:

IMG_3086.jpg

Ask a Question