Areca Palms Thinning Out!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, some Roots were exposed On the top! (You can see in the Photo) So I added more Soil! Also, I use those Planter Inserts, keeping the plant about 6" from the bottom! So the roots are out of the water!

Reaction score
Country
United States
UPDATE! I have started watering them once a week now! And I added some soil to each Palms container, But I still am getting Brown Dying Fond's, I don't know what might be wrong! I have included a close up photo of each plant in its Container!

Attachments

• 20220610_094631_HDR.jpg
    20220610_094631_HDR.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220610_094620_HDR.jpg
    20220610_094620_HDR.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220610_094604_HDR.jpg
    20220610_094604_HDR.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Water drains through the containers into clear plastic trays outside them, quite rapidly! The plants are held up a few inches from the bottom of the Containers by these things!

Attachments

• planter.jpg
    planter.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are they still drying out within a couple of days? If they are you might want to Let them soak in a deeper saucer for awhile. I think your soil is drying out very quickly and it needs to soak longer. Do you still have some that you can take a picture of, including the bag?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes they are! .. And unfortunately, I just threw the bag out! After adding extra to the containers! ...It does! Seem like it's always very DRY! Even when I stick my finger down, maybe 4". I guess I could fill my bathtub about half way, and then put them into it overnight? What about the future, though? Would I have to keep doing that? Also, another strange thing! I have a container filled with extra soil that has no plant in it, and has never been watered, ....and that soil does not feel dry?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
No I never gave it a thought! ..First time I ever bought potting soil, ..I always used Yard Dirt! But now I live in a Condo and that is not possible!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I soaked them in the tub overnight and most of the next day, but so far they don't look too much healthier! I'm wondering if I should remove those plant shelves, and bury the palm's roots deeper in the container?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It will take some time to see a response to the soaking. Removing the shelves will give the roots more room and fill up the ‘dead space’ at the bottom of the pot. The decision is up to you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It will take some time to see a response to the soaking. Removing the shelves will give the roots more room and fill up the ‘dead space’ at the bottom of the pot. The decision is up to you.
They are starting to look healthier again! ...I think I better water them more often since that seems to be the issue! What is your opinion of those shelves, ...do you think it would be a big improvement to remove them bury the roots deeper?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would say yes. The air pace at the bottom does nothing for the plant that simply having a drain hole does. It actually forms a "perched" water table where where it has to be soaked at that point before water moves through the drain holes in the shelf. They might work for pots with no drain holes to allow air to the roots.

Ask a Question