Areca Palms Thinning Out!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I re potted my Areca Palms about 4 Months ago, but lately I notice a lot of Brown Fonds, and also Thinning out! I started spraying the Fronds directly! besides container watering! Don't know if that will Help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are all Inside!

Attachments

• vcc.jpg
    vcc.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 13
  • vccc.jpg
    vccc.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are a palms prefer to be moist rather than drying out like other palms. Make sure it gets a good soak when you water. Clean out the brown parts so you can tell if there’s any improvement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Actually, you should be checking it once a week and watering when it gets dry about 1" down. Where you are and where it is that would probably be water once a week. It should be a thorough soak. A little water left in the tray won't kill it.

Reaction score
Country
United States

cpp gardener Yes I read somewhere they only needed water every 2 or 3 weeks! and it sounded like kind of a long time! especially since the soil drys out! ....So that might be the problem?​

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I would say that's the problem. As I suggested, trim off the brown parts and then give it a good soak. You should see some improvement in a couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing I notice about this potting soil I am using, it feels very dry just 2 days after doing the watering! I hope I don't have some problem with this particular Soil I'm using!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Make sure it's tamped down tight and soak it good when you water it. You can also put it in a big tub of water (about 1/2 to 3/4 the height of the pot) and let it sit for an hour or 2. This helps make sure that all of the organic matter absorbs plenty of water.

Reaction score
Country
United States

cpp gardener Thank You! ...That soaking method worked out well! when they were in the smaller Nursery Containers, but since I have repotted them to these Huge Containers! I would have to fill up my Bathtub! Plus they have those Planter Inserts inside, keeping the plant about 6" from the bottom!​

Attachments

• plant.jpg
    plant.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Don't water to much! These get root rot. Make sure there is a drain hole on the bottom. When you repotted did the roots look ok? Exposed roots will also cause the tips to turn brown

Ask a Question