Are strawberry plants a pain to deal with?

Reaction score
Once you have decided to begin growing strawberries, you need to pick your starting point. You can grow strawberries from seeds, or you can opt to transplant or purchase strawberry plants for your garden. It is more difficult if you start with strawberry seeds instead of existing strawberry plants.
1 - 2 inches of water per week is needed for juicy fruit. Water is especially important while the fruit is forming, from early bloom to the end of harvest.

Reaction score
I grow strawberries, and love that they just spread like crazy. Pretty darn easy to control, and pull up runners where you don't want them. It's not like Kikuyu grass or something!

I was having strawberries for breakfast every morning this Summer: it was fantastic. We've just entered Autumn/Fall where I live, so I'm going to let them over-Winter (doesn't snow here).

Reaction score
Hello!

This is my third year with strawberries here on our new "farmland."

The first year, I planted them in rows maybe 10 inches apart, per my father in-laws request. I was concerned with the weeding and not having enough room to get myself through the patch. "Let them be, they will do fine" Sure, they did fine, but I did not. It was a pain to try and sort through the plants to pull the weeds from roots (almost an 8hr day with only 200 plants) and the runners were constantly intertangling themselves with the other plants. I found myself breaking them as I untangled them. "Let them be" he said again, but as someone mentioned above, strawberries do not produce as well after a few years in the ground so I wanted to plant the runners in a seperate patch each year so I knew when patch 1 hit 4 or 5 years and was not producing that I could just till it up without worrying about ruining good productive plants.

The second year, I got a bit smarter, I planted them in rows 3 feet apart and 12 to 18 inches from each plant. Then I put down weed paper so that I could easily make it between the rows and would have less to weed. It worked much better than the first year, but halfway through the season the weeds started popping up through the weed paper. Sure, I could get thicker paper this year, but then I got to thinking...

(Third year) My husband owns a masonry business so brick, block, and stone are very common items on our land. This year, I will have the strawberries planted in block. The ground will be tilled and I will make rows of block with enough room to get a lawn tractor through if necessary. This way if weeds grow up between the rows, I can dig bunches out with a shovel instead of pulling them by hand. Each block slot will hold one plant with new dirt and since the ground is tilled if needed, the roots can continue to grow. As the plant grows, the runners will climb downward to the ground and I shouldn't have to untangle them. Last year, I pinched off all but one runner per plant, while I had a lower yield, I had bigger strawberries and healthier plants. When the runners grow their 'legs' I pin them to a small 3" pot filled with new dirt, the plants then take to that pot and grow strong healthy roots. In the fall I will snip off the runners (generally your quantity doubles each year) and replant the baby plants into their perspective block for a yield in their second year.

Of course, this is all theoretical - each year I think of something that might make my gardening life a bit easier. I will let everyone know how this year turns out! :)

Sincerely,
Jen

Reaction score
Jen, I would love to have the land to do 200 plants. It sounds magical to me. I try to cram all I can in my tiny 1/5th acre and I have to leave most of it grass as per my HOA. I am trying to grow as much as I can this year in hopes to set more money aside to move. I want to have enough land to let my ideas run wild like you have. I cant wait to hear how this all works out!

Reaction score
My strawberry plants were always successful in the UK. I cut off nearly all the runners while the plants were still producing and just kept a few of the baby plants. After three years the yield is not so good so I dig those up and replace them with the babies. I have never grown strawberries from seed; it sounds a lot more hassle.

Reaction score
I have been growing strawberries for about 7 years and I love them. I encourage the runners to spread. If they spread too much give some away, even a person without a greenthumb will take pride in strawberries because they don't require work. I have three children and they love my strawberry patch,it keeps them busy.

Ask a Question