Anyone into bonsai?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I was introduced into the art of bonsai through a manual that I bumped into in a library and was fascinated by the designs but have never ventured into the art. I guess the plants so sculptured should fetch a premium. I think bonsai is not too involving and would not be bad for a beginner. Which tropical plants are good for bonsai?

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I love bonsai plants. Couple of years ago,I used to make my own bonsai. However, after two or three years, my bonsai plants began dying or over growing, thus I stopped doing bonsai. I learned bonsai from DYI article published on a gardening magazine and YouTube Videos. Any plant that grows into big trees is fit for bonsai.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried a Japanese Maple cutting that lived for about a year, I ended up transplanting it and did something along the way it did not like, and quickly perished. I would purchase more and try my hand at an established tree.

Only other plant I would say is "bonsai" in my garden is a very well groomed jade plant that looks very much like a tree.
As for a tropical tree? I do not know of anything specifically tropical, but trees that do well with humidity and warmth are cherry trees, ficus, figs, black olive, and Chinese elm. We have larger non-bonsai ficus and jades that love water and take humidity well (if it ever gets humid...)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Living in Japan right now it's really made me appreciate the beauty and skill required for bonsai!

I haven't tried it myself but some friends I have made here are very much into it. I don't know about tropical plants though, since here in Tokyo it's not a tropical climate...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really cannot say that I have seen too many or really ever had the chance to get one, but I would jump at the chance and I have always wanted to have one around. I really do not know the first thing about them though, so I would have to do some research.

Ask a Question