Any Yucca Elephantipes Experts Out There?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings!

I have a Yucca planted outside that is about 10ft tall & healthy, but a couple of the scales on the trunk fell off a couple of years ago, about a foot from the bottom which has developed into a hole. I think some pesky woodlice have moved in there & I don`t really know if they are causing the hole or if the wood is rotting on its own & they are just taking advantage of it, but I am worried that it is going to kill the tree. I got more concerned when a new shoot started just below the hole & I am now wondering if the plant knows the top is doomed & is looking to save itself.
I really don`t want to lose the tree, its been growing for over 30 years, does anyone know if I should fill/cover the hole & if so with what?

Any help very much appreciated :))

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings!

I have a Yucca planted outside that is about 10ft tall & healthy, but a couple of the scales on the trunk fell off a couple of years ago, about a foot from the bottom which has developed into a hole. I think some pesky woodlice have moved in there & I don`t really know if they are causing the hole or if the wood is rotting on its own & they are just taking advantage of it, but I am worried that it is going to kill the tree. I got more concerned when a new shoot started just below the hole & I am now wondering if the plant knows the top is doomed & is looking to save itself.
I really don`t want to lose the tree, its been growing for over 30 years, does anyone know if I should fill/cover the hole & if so with what?

Any help very much appreciated :))
Can you post a photo so we can see what you are talking about?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you post a photo so we can see what you are talking about?
Sure .... Here are pics of the hole & of the top, as you can see it is still looking healthy up there (so far).

yucca001.JPG

yucca002.JPG

Thanks for your reply :)

Ask a Question