Any idea what they are?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have these growing in garden any idea what they are? I assumed they would turn into mushrooms but they have stayed like this for a few weeks and are now going crispy

Attachments

• AAAD279F-99DB-44A7-9ADF-9DD1E20D33C8.jpeg
    AAAD279F-99DB-44A7-9ADF-9DD1E20D33C8.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do get mares tail in this area of garden but it’s never appeared looking like that before but having looked on Google at horse tail it does look like it. Usually looks like this photo

Attachments

• IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 2

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Yep, Giant Horsetail sprouts, bit bigger than Marestail but very similar.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
On a brighter note, you can use them to make your own Silver polish :)

Coal miners have reported seeing the roots of them in mine shafts, which is ironic as their ancestors were the plants that formed the coal measures in the first place, before trees had evolved these things were enormous.

They have a waxy coating that repels weed killers so to spray them off you need to bruise them so it can get through, then use a systemic one like glyphosate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
On a brighter note, you can use them to make your own Silver polish :)

Coal miners have reported seeing the roots of them in mine shafts, which is ironic as their ancestors were the plants that formed the coal measures in the first place, before trees had evolved these things were enormous.

They have a waxy coating that repels weed killers so to spray them off you need to bruise them so it can get through, then use a systemic one like glyphosate.
I really wish you wouldn't advocate the use of glyphosate. There are more enviro and healthier ways than using toxins in one's garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have these growing in garden any idea what they are? I assumed they would turn into mushrooms but they have stayed like this for a few weeks and are now going crispy
Please don't listen to anyone who advocates that you use toxins/pesticides in your garden. The only permanent way to rid a garden of horsetails is relatively simple, but takes time and effort. You must improve the drainage, raise the pH, and increase your soil's fertility.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I really wish you wouldn't advocate the use of glyphosate. There are more enviro and healthier ways than using toxins in one's garden.

As I said, the roots go down so far that they've been seen in coal mines so good luck to the OP in raising the PH of the underlying geology to a few hundred feet :rolleyes:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've got some in our pond I noticed today, not going to try to improve the drainage of that though :rolleyes:

DSC04184.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please don't listen to anyone who advocates that you use toxins/pesticides in your garden. The only permanent way to rid a garden of horsetails is relatively simple, but takes time and effort. You must improve the drainage, raise the pH, and increase your soil's fertility.
I'm sure we would all appreciate it if you could just give folk an opinion every now and then, but STOP PREACHING at them. Put the pulpit away. We are all here for friendly chatter and dictatorship is definitely not friendly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used SBK on the Marestail over the past couple years and it does kill it and has thinned it out but these new ones look very different to the little shoots I’m used to. It’s a heavy clay soil so would need a lot of work and don’t think my back could cope with that (and can’t be bothered if being honest)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im now planning on fencing the area off so can not see it and just continue killing it when it grows through and gets bigger.

If they’re 2 different weeds why have I suddenly got horsetail do you think

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this growing where you're able to cut it off with the lawn mower? Something @Meadowlark mentioned/suggested on another thread for getting rid of pernicious weeds. He said that by cutting this sort of weed down hard regularly will weaken it until it gives up :unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately it’s just on bark chipping now, it used to be grass in that area so never realised it was an issue until a few years ago. It crops up on a few other areas of the garden but I just pluck it out as soon as I see it. I’m used to it but just a bit gutted that I’ve also got the triffid version now..

Thankfully we have a big garden so can get away with fencing it off this year as it does look awful when it’s been killed

Ask a Question