Another Gardenia needs help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I posted previously that I now keep gardenias in containers and bring them inside over the winter. This one was treated that way, but it has not really started new growth for spring. I do not see any signs of pests, although some of the leaves still have brown edges. Perhaps it has outgrown its pot, but putting it in the gorund would be a death sentence in our current winter cold spells. Should I cut it back to see if new growth emerges? Any other advice? Thanks.

Attachments

• Sad Gardenia.jpg
    Sad Gardenia.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 5

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
How long has it been in that container? Looks like it might be root bound to me. Mine do respond well to pruning...after the bloom. Also, is the ph slightly acidic as needed?

My gardenias are outside and have survived 11 deg. F lows previously. Last winter hit 15 deg. F here and that's the "book" number for death, but they escaped. You are probably right on bringing them inside for those rare but very stressful polar vortex events.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We got down to 3 degrees in Jan of 2024, without windchill. I too suspect it is pot bound so I guess I could repot it in a larger container.I'll have to check PH when I can lay my hands on my meter...Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I just check and the soil is very alkaline. Should I use a soil acidifier when I repot?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That's a problem for gardenias. Yes, lower it to slightly acidic...something around 6.1 or 6.2 ph. That will make a huge difference but lower it gradually and recheck as you go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What should I use to lower PH? I have a granular fertilizer that says it is for azaleas, hydrangeas, etc. It contains iron and sulfur. I have read that plain sulfur is not good for container plants. What about Espoma's Soil Acidifier?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
By the way, I decided to cut the plant back to see if there would be any new growth before I go to the trouble of repotting it, since it is so large. I added vinegar to the last watering to help with ph.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Remember..."lower it gradually and recheck as you go." It is very easy for the treatment to kill the patient.

Vinegar will work...but use in small amounts and checking as you go. One cup of vinegar to a gallon of water can lower it 1 point.

Elemental sulfur or ag. sulfur added to your soil gradually acidifies the soil. Depending on your soil type, 1/4 lb per sq. yard for sandy, 1/2 lb per sq. yard for clay soil is effective.

612Etw9nH1L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Caution is the key, "lower it gradually and recheck as you go."

Ask a Question