And we're off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
just picked up another 75 liters of potting soil.

eek, can't stop!

Ha! It's a disease, I know! I was at the big box store the other day for a job interview. After I went in the garden section to get one of those conical tomato cages for the fennel. Couldn't pass up the clearance rack.

I don't know what that is. Whole ground cornmeal, sometimes called stone ground cornmeal is the growing medium of choice for a fungus called Trichoderma. Trichoderma is a beneficial fungus that attacks and kills other fungi such as the Damping Off Fungi, among other harmful fungi

Chuck, you've used cornmeal successfully?

@zigs
How do you carmelise onions?

I know how to fry them, I add fried onions to most of my foods, because they're delicious:D

I looked up carmelizing onions last year and it is a lengthy and labor intensive process. I sautee mine slowly on the stove, but I don't know when I will have time to do a batch of true carmelized onions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ha! It's a disease, I know! I was at the big box store the other day for a job interview. After I went in the garden section to get one of those conical tomato cages for the fennel. Couldn't pass up the clearance rack.

Chuck, you've used cornmeal successfully?

@zigs

I looked up carmelizing onions last year and it is a lengthy and labor intensive process. I sautee mine slowly on the stove, but I don't know when I will have time to do a batch of true carmelized onions.
I use it religiously. I mix it 1 part cornmeal to 5 parts starting mix when I plant my seed. I spread it around the base of my plants in the garden. I make cornmeal tea and spray it on squash and cucs keep mildew away. I spray it on tomatoes to delay early blight. If it didn't work or at least help I wouldn't use it.. Remember that this is not the enriched cornmeal although you can purchase it at the grocery store. At the grocery store it is called Stone Ground or Whole Ground

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I use it religiously. I mix it 1 part cornmeal to 5 parts starting mix when I plant my seed... Remember that this is not the enriched cornmeal although you can purchase it at the grocery store. At the grocery store it is called Stone Ground or Whole Ground

Wait, I can or can not get it at the grocery?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You can get it at the grocery. It is just not the regular Aunt Jemima type of cornmeal. If it says enriched anywhere on the package it is NOT what you want

I'll have to add cornmeal to my garden shopping list. (And remember later how and for what to use it!) Today though, I'm thinking about going out to look for fish emulsion. I read somewhere that you could use canned fish to make your own, but I want something ready to go today for use on the leafy greens and herbs to encourage more growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is so wonderful to hear - now I'm trying to imagine the bride's bouquet - onion fronds rather than baby's breathe? :D
Bunch of Leeks and some Brocolli :D

I'll tell her that later:p

Traditionally that's about what bride bouquets were once upon a time. Fragrant herbs that held meaning spiritually or carried to ward off evil.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Could save some money there then :D Got plenty of Garlic:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Downstairs this morning planting 12 more soil blocks. Just tomatoes- romas. I bake a lot of baguettes and make bruschetta. Hmm, guess I should try my hand at onions too then..

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bad news with the Kelsae onions, neither mine or my Girlfriend's seed has germinated :( (She sent me the seeds from the same packet)

Not got any in my local nursery so i'll have to look further afield, but we're now nearly a month behind everyone else :(

Got a load of Bedfordshire Champions germinated, they're a big onion, but not as big as Kelsae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Bad news with the Kelsae onions, neither mine or my Girlfriend's seed has germinated :( (She sent me the seeds from the same packet)

Is it possible they could still germinate? Maybe they just need a little incentive.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible they could still germinate? Maybe they just need a little incentive.

Unlikely, as the others are coming up fine, also got failure on another variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Unlikely, as the others are coming up fine, also got failure on another variety.

:( That's too bad. I've been reading up on different techniques for seed starting.

Drat! I just remembered I left the peas soaking! Have to go get them, first time at growing pea shoots.

Ask a Question