Aji Charapita pepper - pale / dying leaves and dark purple veins - chlorosis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
pics of struggling aji charapita seedlings

I have no idea what is causing these guys to struggle as shown in the below pics - leaves yellowing with dark veins, some of which have dropped off. I believe the climate is right (65-75F), have lightly fertilized after transplanting from seed starting tray, but based on their appearance I'm guessing either too much water retention or a nutrient imbalance?

Are these pictures and the pale leaves, dark veins indicative of any particular issue? I've also been having some of these leaves drop off, all while my shishito peppers are looking great which followed the same steps.

The indoor grow setup I've used and summarized below has worked for other pepper varieties in previous years but these guys seem tricky. I'm worried about a lack of drainage due / water retention from the Diatomaceous earth that I added to the soil, since I've heard peppers need good drainage. Arte these symptoms all be overwatering / not enough drainage? The algae is pretty bad for these guys as well.

- Started seeds in coir (no nutes),16 hrs light (LED 100watt), ~75F heat mat and ~70 degree room temp - good germination rate
- Repotted and took off of heat mat right around when second true leaves emerged, admittedly probably repotted a little too early
- Repotted into mix coast of maine potting mix, worm castings, diatomaceous earth for moisture retention
- Kept on 16 hrs of light, room temp between 65-75F, watering as the soil surface appears totally dry
- About 1 week after repotting, fed half-strength fish emulsion
- Every third watering, I'm adding half-strength cal-mag to water

Attachments

• PXL_20210514_213417477.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210514_213417477.MP.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20210514_213411268.jpg
    PXL_20210514_213411268.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20210514_213328481.jpg
    PXL_20210514_213328481.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20210514_213249165.jpg
    PXL_20210514_213249165.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20210514_213241222.jpg
    PXL_20210514_213241222.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 118
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
pics of struggling aji charapita seedlings

I have no idea what is causing these guys to struggle as shown in the below pics - leaves yellowing with dark veins, some of which have dropped off. I believe the climate is right (65-75F), have lightly fertilized after transplanting from seed starting tray, but based on their appearance I'm guessing either too much water retention or a nutrient imbalance?

Are these pictures and the pale leaves, dark veins indicative of any particular issue? I've also been having some of these leaves drop off, all while my shishito peppers are looking great which followed the same steps.

The indoor grow setup I've used and summarized below has worked for other pepper varieties in previous years but these guys seem tricky. I'm worried about a lack of drainage due / water retention from the Diatomaceous earth that I added to the soil, since I've heard peppers need good drainage. Arte these symptoms all be overwatering / not enough drainage? The algae is pretty bad for these guys as well.

- Started seeds in coir (no nutes),16 hrs light (LED 100watt), ~75F heat mat and ~70 degree room temp - good germination rate
- Repotted and took off of heat mat right around when second true leaves emerged, admittedly probably repotted a little too early
- Repotted into mix coast of maine potting mix, worm castings, diatomaceous earth for moisture retention
- Kept on 16 hrs of light, room temp between 65-75F, watering as the soil surface appears totally dry
- About 1 week after repotting, fed half-strength fish emulsion
- Every third watering, I'm adding half-strength cal-mag to water
Pale yellowish leaves and discoloration of veins is indicative of a micro-nutrient deficiency. The first thing I would try is epsom salts. Epsom salts enables plants to uptake both micro and macro-nutrients. If epsom salts fails to cure the problem I would use Chelated Iron as per directions.

WildTomatoGuy

Crossing With Wild Tomatoes Is Awesome
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A-B
Country
United States
Wild tomatoes and peppers do not like chemical fertilizers until they are fully established.Good Luck

Ask a Question