Advice on dealing with tree seeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large tree on my boundary which I really like. But the last two years it’s started producing very sticky seeds (image attached). They get everywhere and are difficult to remove from decking and artificial grass (garden elevations meant I couldn’t have normal grass :( ).

I’m not sure why it’s just started doing it (have been here for approaching 15 years). There was a lot of Ivy on my neighbours side, which he cleared a couple of years ago. Perhaps that was holding the tree back before.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It’s a Maple and the fuzzy/sticky parts are catkins which are the male flower parts. More than likely the ivy was competing with it and now it’s big enough for the catkins to end up on your decking and grass. You can remove the parts on you side of the boundary but you’ll have to talk to the neighbor or just keep cleaning up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tree is on my side of the boundary, but I’m on very good terms with the neighbour anyway.

It will only be viable to do anything from my side anyway due to elevations. My neighbours side is approx two meters lower.

I guess I’ll have to find as efficient a way as possible to deal with the flowers/seeds. Probably get some long clippers and chop off whatever I can reach before they fall. Then hose and brush off the rest, is the best way I’ve found so far.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only sure way to stop the seed drop every year is to remove the plants from the area.

Ask a Question