4 August 2020 Chickpea Tempeh (Simplified Making)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
4 August 2020 Chickpea Tempeh (Simplified Making)
Posted on August 4, 2020 by Durgan
4 August 2020 Chickpea Tempeh
Tempeh was made with 500 ml of chickpeas. The chickpeas were boiled in water for 1 hour and 50 minutes. This loosened the hulls and made the peas soft enough for the mycelium to work.Th hulls were removed by rubbing the peas together five times and pouring off the hulls, adding water as required.Two tablespoons of white vinegar was added and mixed. This is not essential.Indonesian tempeh starter a half a teaspoon was added. This was purchased off the Internet, since Western suppliers are ripping people off.
The chickpeas were placed in cotton covered home made plastic molds.The chickpeas were placed in the fermenter set at 31C for 36 hours.The result was perfect tempeh. I ingest about 100 grams for breakfast daily of chickpea, lentil, or soy tempeh. I find it a great replacement for meat, for better or worse.
dsc_5010_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is a fermenter @Durgan ? How does it work? Is it an expensive bit of kit? Is this better than using quorn or soya? Are these ''biscuits'' tasty? How do you serve them -with veggies or salad?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
A fermenter is a box that maintains a constant temperature. I made mine in a five gallon pail with a pharmacy limb heating pad. I use a LED lamp for fine control, which is not needed. And a cheap alcohol thermometer for recording. It need not be fancy or expensive. For tempeh 31 degrees C is required.

Tempeh is a Indonesian staple usually soy beans, other grains can be fermented. I do soy, chickpea and lentils for variety. All three generally meet human protean requirements. I use them to generally replace meat in my diet.

Tempeh is relatively simple to make and can be processed just like meat to accompany other foods for a meal. There are many recipes on the Internet. I generally cut a piece and eat as is.. It has a benign taste and usually takes on the flavor of accompanying food.

Fermentation is used for food storage in many cultures. Off season food storage is necessary due to adverse climates when nothing grows A common food fermented is sauerkraut.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much for your quick and concise reply Durgan. I have been leaving meat out of our diet now for a couple of years, and this is something I have to try out. (y)

Ask a Question