250 cucumbers = 8 Gallons of Pickles

Reaction score
Country
United States
8½ gallons of Bread & Butter pickles. 28 quart jars, 1 jar is 1/2 gallon, 1 jar is 1 gallon, = 8½ gallons of pickles. Pickles will all become relish for, potato salad, hot dogs, etc. we seldom eat pickles. 3 years ago I made 7 gallons of pickles. I won't need to grow cucumbers in the garden again for at least 3 more years. 80 cucumber plants were making 12 to 20 cucumbers every day. Approximately 250 cucumbers made all these pickles. Plants are still producing cucumbers that I no long need. Free cucumber, come get them. I used the Master Gardener Bread & Butter pickle recipe it takes 5 minutes to make a jar of pickles instead of 1 hour using the 80 year old recipe.

100_5120.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have refrigerator space, crock pickles are easy.

My grandmother use to make crock bread & butter pickles, I have done it too. Put about 4 gallons of brine in the crock then throw in a few cucumber slices every day until it reaches the correct volume. A month later put pickles in mason jars. I planted 130 cucumber seeds then ended up with about 90 plants. At its peak cucumber patch was producing 20 cucumbers every day. National cucumber grow best and faster than other variety. It takes all summer to make this many pickles with only 30 plants. I am glad I have a 100 year old slicer that slices 20 cucumbers in 4 minutes.

I found a vintage slicer at a yard sale people think, if its old its Gold, I am not paying that price so I build 1.

100_5304.JPG
100_5305.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question