Wild Strawberries?

Reaction score
This is my first post since I just joined today. We have wild strawberries completely choking off our beautiful clematis plant. I realize that ground cover can be good for the clematis, but the this wild vineing mess is creating a great deal of issues. Is there anything I can use to kill the strawberry without harming the clematis? Thanx in advance for your help.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

I'm not aware of any selective weed killers that would differentiate between the two, so the choices you have are weeding or using a permeable membrane with a mulch on the top. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Are they actually wild strawberries or those annoying plants that resemble small strawberries with yellow (instead of white) flowers?

Those things took over my yard two summers ago, and we ended up just digging them all out. The problem is that birds eat them and poop the seeds all over creation. They are basically a weed so they thrive in the stupidest of conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Pardon me but I am more interested in the wild strawberry than in that clemitis of yours. Like @Claire, I also want to know if that wild strawberry bear fruit that can be eaten. Over here there is a small passion fruit that is wild but some people know how to eat that marble-sized fruit which is sweet. It grows from a vine like the real passion fruit so we don't kill the vines and just let them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I was in your shoes and want to save the clementis, I would just pull the wild strawberry plants out by the root. I am not fond of chemicals in the garden since there are so many bad side effects to both human and earth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm with IcyBC on just pulling them out. You take a change of killing your clematis and doing harm to your self using chemicals. The problem is that some fertilizers and chemicals may increase the risk of certain types of cancer in dogs or small children. Our gardens now 100% chemical free. I want live to be very old and enjoy my gardens.

Ask a Question