Wild Strawberries?

Reaction score
I seem to have what looks like wild strawberry plants that have started growing in my yard. Are these edible? Should I consider transplanting them into the garden and taking care of them? Or should I just mow them down?

The fruits are TINY TINY, and taste (yep, I chewed on it...) like not much of anything, to be honest. Very juicy, but no flavor at all. Anyone else have these?

Reaction score
I wouldn't go ahead and grow them in your garden, for all you know, it could be poisonous in large quantities. Take a picture of the fruit and post it here so we can have a better look. I grow big red strawberries in my garden, but I've never heard of the ones you've mentioned. I wouldn't have chewed it, not even a little bit. Lets hope you stay well :)

Reaction score
Yeah, my general rule is not to eat anything growing unless I've planted it myself. It may lead to a boring life, but at least it's a healthy one.

Reaction score
Yeah, my general rule is not to eat anything growing unless I've planted it myself. It may lead to a boring life, but at least it's a healthy one.

Ah, see I love foraging. I used to pick the juiciest blackberries off the bushes near where I grew up :)

It's certainly wise to stick to plants you can identify with certainty, though.

Reaction score
We have wild strawberries all over. They like sunny patches in the forest. Yes they are edible but I am surprised to hear yours do not have much flavour. The ones that grow around here have quite an intense strawberry flavour. I know the plants I pick from are the real ones as they have white flowers. I wasn't even aware of the mock ones until it was pointed out above.

I was able to gather enough on a walk last year to make a big batch of strawberry pancakes for everyone. No one was ill or complaining.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wild strawberries are much smaller than the ones you would grow in your garden or find in the store. We used to pick them when I camped as a kid, but you have to know what you are looking for. Before you eat anymore...research them or take a picture and show them to a plant expert.

Reaction score
I would be very careful in even trying to eat any rare fruits that I see in my garden. I think not all may be safe to eat, especially if they don't seem to be an ordinary fruit. If I were you, I will just take it off, unless you would like to consult a gardening expert and have him confirm whether it is safe to have it in the garden.

I also pick very carefully what I put in my garden, especially that I have dogs who keeps on going around. I don't want them to accidentally eat something that's not good for them. I make sure that I know exactly what's in my garden and if it's safe for all of us.

Reaction score
We have what looks like wild strawberries here in North Alabama. However, they are the ones with the yellow blooms and have no flavor at all. I would not advise putting them in your garden. The ones we have here spread like crazy and would soon takeover, but they do make pretty ground cover.

Reaction score
I have a ton of wild strawberries in my yard. They are tiny red spheres. I have never tasted one. How do I get rid of them?

Reaction score

Ask a Question