Preparing flower beds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm getting ready to start planting perrenials and I was wondering what y'all do to prepare your beds? I was planning on adding compost as well as sand to help with drainage and then renting a compact cultivator to mix everything in. I was also considering a pre-emergent too but wasn't sure if it was ok to put that down with the compost prior to cultivating. any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I dug my beds here for perennial planting, I did it with a small garden fork and a bit of elbow grease, removing weeds as I went. The beds are rather big, I'll see if I can get a photo to add sometime. Then I planted straight into the ground as it was. The only thing that has been added is heaven sent rain and mulched bark to help keep the moisture in.
Natures way works best here, and I have often wondered why gardeners in America are so keen to ''amend'' everything - even before they start :unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United States
here in Texas we have red clay so we have to add soil and/or sand to help with drainage, not to mention lack of nutrition in clay so adding compost helps. I may be wrong but I dont think anything but weeds thrive in clay🤔

Ask a Question