What's the most unusual herb you've planted?

Reaction score
I have grown the chocolate mint and love the flavor of it in tea. I also have apple and pineapple but the chocolate has the best flavor. Never heard of cinnamon basil before but it sounds wonderful.
I've always wanted to try a variety of mint. I've only grown lemon balm, spearmint, and pennyroyal. ( I think they are all categorized in the menthe family)

Reaction score
I read through all your posts with fascination. There are types of mint mentioned here that I wasn't even aware existed. I must try them! I've been working up a little list for myself for what I would like to plant for spring and it helps get through the winter blahs. I would love to have a lot of different herbs for cooking, but mostly I think I want to experiment with making a tea blend. Doesn't that sound fun?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Making a tea blend sounds more than great!:D I'm a tea addict, I drink it all the time. It's funny, but I've never tried making my own. I'm sure it would be tastier than the one bought at a store. Usually, I add herbs only to my food. I guess it's time to try something new:D

Reaction score
Last summer, we grew pineapple basil. The crazy thing is, it actually smells just like a pineapple! It's very hardy and we did not have to water it too much. It tastes great as a garnish and is very refreshing in iced tea. I would recommend this herb for sure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I grew a Boxweed basil a few years ago, when Lowes had a bunch of it on aclearance special, and I really liked it. It is a short, bushy looking basil with teeny-tiny little leaves, not like usual basil leaves. It also had a kind of a spicy fragrance, and I would just snip off a top or so, and then trim it into whatever dish I was using it to season. It was also delicious on tomato sandwiches, or any kind of a salad.

Reaction score
I have grown various 'different' kinds of basil. Thai basil, and lemon basil are my faves of basil. I have grown lime basil and I must have put some seed in the box too, because it came up this year on it's own. I currently have Thai basil, and cinnamon and lime basil as well as the 'regular'. lol. I'm a basil addict and get what different kinds I can wherever I can.

I love the lemon things as well as those close to it. Lemongrass, lemon verbena, and lemon balm. LOVE pineapple sage. Have grown them all and currently have many of them. Catnip and cat mint are two different things but similar. Yes, just separate all the mints as they cross and become something quite weird. I've had that happen. Still good tasting tho.

I have grown Cuban oregano last year, and have sources for more this year. It's awesome! Strong like Greek oregano, but different. I just LOVE caraway thyme. As yes, it does taste like caraway seeds, and is no difficult to grow than all thyme is, pretty easy. But I can't find it anymore.

I also have grown wormwood. I currently have a skullcap bush that made it thru winter and came back. She puts out all these beautiful deep purple pink swirls of flowers. I have grown tansy and yarrow.

I know there are more, as I started out 'different' over 30 years ago in the herbal medicine format, and then found 'different' in food herbs too over the years. Herbs are my fave things to have around plant wise.

Best wishes everyone.

Kavatika

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have grown chocolate mint and pineapple mint! Both plants are still flourishing back in Alabama where they were planted. Lots of different native varieties of Sage, and salvia, but for the flowers and not as herbs.

Ask a Question